The new improved fitness thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: The new improved fitness thread

Post by kiwikrasher »

D6Nutz wrote:Welcome back mate (y)

I too broke out the running shoes last night for the first time in 5 or so weeks. A gentle 5 mile road run with the club, leg felt fine but this cold sat on my chest is really slowing me down.
Cheers mate, I'm going again this morning after shift. I was rather tight in the legs and hips last night shift so spent a good 45 mins doing running specific yoga stretches in the morning, feel so much better for it tonight. Going to be clever about it this time and ease in.. I'll stick to 5 km for a few weeks and slowly increase distance and frequency. There's a 10 km race in feb I've done before that I'm signing up to and the City2Surf in August (home for it next yr) thats I still have to break the hour for. Depending on how I'm going I may do a half in May. Feels good to be motivated again.

I hope you clear your cold soon mate and glad you are getting over your injury at last.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

It's great to be planning again isn't it. I remember you saying about the city2surf before.

I'm going to be sticking to about 5 miles for a few weeks before taking the distance up. But I've got a race in early Jan called rough and tumble, it's a 10 mile off roader with some serious hills. The there is Reading half a couple of months after that.

The race focus is coming back :D
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Fireblade_Ro
Your Bike: 2003 Honda Fireblade 954

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

Kwacky wrote:I don't do enough cardio. I need to get my bike sorted and back on the road. It's only a cheap hybrid but it's good enough for me.
If you're anywhere near Telford I need to get back on my bike and ride... give me a shout!!! (or a kick up the ass)
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I'm in Birmingham. It's a bit far to ride to Telford :)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

So last night the girlfriend and I took our 2 month progress photos and whilst I wasn't looking forward to seeing them (I feel I've put on since the 1 month mark) there is more definition around the pecks and shoulders and a little less fat roll over my boxers. My back looks exactly the same except my lats are bigger.

I've started taking Grenade Thermo Detonators today and will be increasing my dedicated cardio sessions to 3 times a week. Fingers crossed I can lose more fat in a months time..
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

are you measuring your fat percentage?
Cav

Post by Cav »

No. I'm keeping track of my weight and how I look/how much stubborn fat is on my stomach. If I stay the same weight and can feel my skin fold getting thinner and I can see a difference in the photos then I'm happy. I think I'm about about 16-18% and I want to drop it to around 12% for June next year
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Managed to get back in the gym. 5x5 squats, bench press and barbell rows with some planks, side crunches and a couple of triceps and biceps exercises for good measure.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Sounding good mate !!

I did my first Cardio-only session in a very long time last night then went for Legs early this morning followed by swimmingroughly 30 lengths without stopping.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Three runs into my return to running and my old achilles injury has flared up again. Thought I was easing in! Obviously getting older than I thought. Not full on atm but feeling like it did before it went big time last time round, so resting, stretching and strapping it and hopefully it'll come right soon.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Still going with my 5x5 training. On week 4 now.

I think I prefer doing a mix of exercises each time I go to the gym, rather than working on a certain body part.

Planning ahead I'm thinking of going 3 days a week as I do with 5x5 with a mix of exercises for each day. Something along these lines:-

Day 1

Squats
Overhead press
Lat cable pull
Pec deck
Shoulder cable shrug
Leg abduction/adduction
Triceps

Day 2
Leg Press
Barbell front raises
Lat pull downs
Dips
Shrugs front and back
Biceps
Hamstring stretches

Day 3
Deadlift
Face rope pull
Cable side crunch
Bench press
Barbell row
Chin ups
Abs

Thoughts, input, laughter etc all appreciated.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I worked upper chest and triceps this afternoon.... Ouch !!

I did drop sets on Incline Bench after 5 sets at 70kg. My arms were feckin pumped as shiz !!!!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Went to the gym this afternoon. It was nice to get on to the stuff I wanted to without having to wait.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:Went to the gym this afternoon. It was nice to get on to the stuff I wanted to without having to wait.
Exact opposite to me today then! Every bugger who puts naff all effort into the gym was sat on the equipment just waiting for enough time to pass before they can declare an hour spent in the gym. Nightmare!!

I cram an hour and half routine into 40-50minutes to make sure my hear rate stays high, that wasn't possible today |(
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The only people there were pumping up their chests for the friday night beers.
Cav

Post by Cav »

The only person there that was actually doing a workout was doing arms.. lol very typical of a Friday
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Still on the 5x5 but starting to hit some weights that are a struggle. My weak shoulder is the main factor. Overhead press was 35kg tonight. Managed to do the 5x5 but had to psuh on the last set.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I'm planning on a run tomorrow evening, second one in over 8 weeks (blush) Hopefully this time with an inhaler I will survive a hill or two... If I don't post tomorrow evening then you know it didn't go too well.......
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

D6Nutz wrote:I'm planning on a run tomorrow evening, second one in over 8 weeks (blush) Hopefully this time with an inhaler I will survive a hill or two... If I don't post tomorrow evening then you know it didn't go too well.......
Good luck mate, I'm still trying to build resilience to my achilles, tired another run and it flared up again. Going to wait till I'm home and I can run somewhere a bit softer than a treadmill. The strapping tape the medic had out here is a bit meh as well, I've got some really good stuff at home the physio put me onto.
Cav

Post by Cav »

The most I can do on a treadmill before my knee starts killing is about 12 minutes but I'm fine if I start doing sprints after that time - anyone have an explanation?

I need to buy another pair of swim goggles as I lost my last pair and chlorinated water really hurts after 20 minutes!!

So far so good for the fat loss though.. while the little pouch I have at the bottom of my stomach is still there (although it is reducing) when I pinch the skin there is much less stubborn fat on the underside which is a step in the right direction. The Grenade Thermodetonators, if nothing else, are helping to curb my hunger and is making the calorie reduction much easier. I'm not tracking calories but, when exercising, I must be entering a calorie deficit. The creatine is making my workouts insane and I'm at 90% of my 1 Rep Max for an hour long workout - the recovery with the creatine is just as great!!