Race Schools - Options

The news and your views about biking
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Race Schools - Options

Post by duke63 »

If it was my money i would personally push the boat out and hire a racer to give me one to one tuition. By the very nature of them watching and teaching you and only you all day you are certain to make improvements.

I did contact Mike Edwards after my crash but other things got in the way since and the financial consequences of that crash made me think very hard about whether to do track riding again or not.

My personal choice would be Simon Crafar, a top racer. But it aint cheap.

http://store.motovudu.com/motovudu-inst ... -crafar-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is Mike Edwards site.
http://www.mike-edwards.net/frames.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I'll take a look.. :)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:If it was my money i would personally push the boat out and hire a racer to give me one to one tuition. By the very nature of them watching and teaching you and only you all day you are certain to make improvements.

I did contact Mike Edwards after my crash but other things got in the way since and the financial consequences of that crash made me think very hard about whether to do track riding again or not.

My personal choice would be Simon Crafar, a top racer. But it aint cheap.

http://store.motovudu.com/motovudu-inst ... -crafar-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is Mike Edwards site.
http://www.mike-edwards.net/frames.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reading motovudu I'd choose Simon Crafar too. He teaches a few things completely opposite to CSS :)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Is motovudu worth a read ?

If it's different to css which one is right or is there more than one way to skin cat.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I have read both and Motovudu makes more sense than CSS to me.

But as you say there is more than one way of going faster.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I might put that Motovudu DVD on my Christmas present list.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Think I might put the motovudu dvd and book on my stocking filler list.

Should be able to pick up a copy at the NEC hopefully.
Cav

Post by Cav »

After speaking to Adam Shelton about private tuition he pointed me in the direction of Rob Haslam as for Premier and Elite it costs about the same as hiring him for the day.

I'll stick with a 600 for both if I do it and I'm trying to organise going straight to Elite but they seem unwilling to budge so instead I queried the price which they said they would get back to me on
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Can you use your own bike? I thought you had to use their Hondas?
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

i did European super bike school years ago me and my mates got a great instructor i was very green and he gave me loads of confidence i have looked at css but its not something that tickles me bit to regimented and i can be a bit stubborn . the great thing about ess was it spanned 2 days on track that helped more the anything as all the nerves and getting up to speed on track happened on the first day and the second was smoothing everything and refining.

If i was as fast as you cav and you have plans to go racing ....... just go racing get your licence and go play don't worry about times you will instantly get faster with everything pumping and trying to keep up.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Agree with Rocket. Times will tumble when in the heat of racing. And you will learn alot more race craft than on a track school where they will only teach you to go fast which you already are.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Cav fwiw I did the Haslam school a few years ago with a bunch of friends from 675.cc when it was based at Silverstone, unfortunately I was paired up with my lad - who stood in for my regular trackday buddy at the last minute, you get far more out of it if your pairing fits with your mates ability. I went thinking it would be a jolly and I might learn something worthwhile - I did, I had a positioning issue fixed that was worth around 5 secs around Cadwell, and allowed far more grip and better tyre wear. Problem is there's a lot of cobblers with not enough track time for the money, it's Rons pension - not his legacy to the sport.

If I was serious about fine tuning my riding I'd be looking at someone like Simon Crafar or any of the older BSB riders that do race clinics at winter trackdays in Southern Spain, not in the UK.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Thanks guys.. I could look at doing a race next year but I'm hoping to fast enough to attract sponsors to pay for my to build my bike into a race bike. That would mean getting a 1.37 at Donington IMO on a street bike. If I can get that then there's no doubt I could get 1.35 or maybe even faster with aftermarket suspension and slicks etc..
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Ron Haslam has tweeted there's a special NEC bike show offer so that might be worth checking out.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:Ron Haslam has tweeted there's a special NEC bike show offer so that might be worth checking out.
Oooh.. Okay, will bear that in mind.

I've been reliably informed that a Euro Trip is on the cards next winter so I should bear that in mind - there's a hell of a lot I can learn in 3 days on the track. Good thing is there will be racers there too so I can tag on to someone and learn bits from them.