Forget terrorism - This is the biggest threat out there

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Forget terrorism - This is the biggest threat out there

Post by duke63 »

The antibiotic apocalypse

And all because farmers have over used antibiotics for personal profit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34857015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Forget terrorism - This is the biggest threat out there

Post by Kwacky »

Humans are parasites and we're killing the host. Either the host dies first or the parasites do.

I'm sure I read somewhere that this plant can cope very comfortably with a human population of 500 million. We're currently at 7.3 billion.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I thought it was on an individual basis, I.e. If you keep using them they will stop working on you personally. Not that bacteria will evolve to become resistant. I have never taken any antibiotic product that I know of, thinking that when I do need it it will work.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The bacteria here have become resistant to even the most powerful antibiotic so we have nothing to use against them. Even more dangerous is the fact this bacteria can move between different strains.
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Post by TonyB »

I listened to this on Radio 2. The resistant bacteria can give other non-resistant bacteria a power up like Super Mario and make them resistant to anti-biotics.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Evolution.
D6

Post by D6 »

Does Chicken soup still work?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I used to get horrible tonsillitis and stopped taking antibiotics because they did f,all
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Thats the problem, either farming bods over using antibiotics, or over prescription by doctors and nurses, and bloody hypochondriacs abusing them, it's making them immune and stronger to everything, so in the end mother nature will kill off what is fecking up her planet, and it will survive for a bit longer, well until the sun dies and takes the earth with it... ha ha WE ARE ALL DOOMED I TELLS YER!

Until then I think I will re-invent a mini gas mask, which everyone will want to be wearing so they dont catch anything off the sneezing and coughing scum out there lol.....

However to finish on a happy note, :) they have actually found some new strains of antibiotic stuff in mud in the middle of a jungle somewhere, which early tests show that it could be whats needed to add some variety to what is available. :)
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Monty™© MCMLXXII
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:........I'm sure I read somewhere that this plant can cope very comfortably with a human population of 500 million. We're currently at 7.3 billion.
LOL, sounds like someone may actually read one of my consistently repetitive posts after all . (blush)

I suspect that the world order will be turned on it's head if our current antibiotics technology comes to an abrupt halt. IMHO life will become much more dangerous for everyone, in many ways.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

Want to read something scary? Read 'Demon In the Freezer' by Richard Preston. About how ill-prepared we are for a disease outbreak, and how stupid man has designed antibiotic resistant strains of viruses we thought were controlled. Like I said, scary.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
D6

Post by D6 »

So really what we want to do is deliver one of these pigs with the antibiotic resistant bacteria in to syria, and have them kill isis for us. An army of pigs.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Mac wrote:Want to read something scary? Read 'Demon In the Freezer' by Richard Preston. About how ill-prepared we are for a disease outbreak, and how stupid man has designed antibiotic resistant strains of viruses we thought were controlled. Like I said, scary.
But isn't the result of the action by Chinese farmers far more scary Mac.?
After all that is a (undoubtedly very entertaining) work of fiction, whereas this is actually here & now. Furthermore, he designed resistant strains of some diseases, here we are talking about everything becoming a serious mortal threat.
Do you currently ever seriously worry that you may be going to die, when you get toothache.? -Welcome to a whole new mindset mate.!
D6 wrote:So really what we want to do is deliver one of these pigs with the antibiotic resistant bacteria in to syria, and have them kill isis for us. An army of pigs.
I think there is a very poignant one word answer to that D6; Myxomatosis.
D6

Post by D6 »

Jezus. Im a brummie. I can't understand big words like that
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Post by Norfolknchance »

Mac wrote:Want to read something scary? Read 'Demon In the Freezer' by Richard Preston. About how ill-prepared we are for a disease outbreak, and how stupid man has designed antibiotic resistant strains of viruses we thought were controlled. Like I said, scary.
Sorry Mac but it is very difficult to take conspiracy theories seriously when something as inaccurate as this is said. All viruses are antibiotic resistant, antibiotics don't affect viruses in any way.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Also didn't they find bacteria in the gut of a South American mummy (not the latin MILF kind) that had the antibiotic resistive gene? That would predate anything we've done with antibiotics.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Post by Norfolknchance »

Very possibly. The reason the presence of antibiotic resistance is so worrying is because of the proportion of the bacterial population which has the resistance.

The abuse of antibiotics has given a selective advantage to those antibiotic resistant bacteria present already in the population, so that with each generation the selection pressure favours the bacteria with the resistance. Without the increased presence of the antibiotic selector, that bacteria has no advantage and in some cases may have a disadvantage.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Norfolknchance wrote:Very possibly. The reason the presence of antibiotic resistance is so worrying is because of the proportion of the bacterial population which has the resistance.

The abuse of antibiotics has given a selective advantage to those antibiotic resistant bacteria present already in the population, so that with each generation the selection pressure favours the bacteria with the resistance. Without the increased presence of the antibiotic selector, that bacteria has no advantage and in some cases may have a disadvantage.
Now I know how Kwacky feels when we talk about engineering/process stuff..

I read that about 5 times, still can't work out what your saying (blush)

Can you explain these bits?
the selection pressure
Without the increased presence of the antibiotic selector
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

Norfolknchance wrote:
Sorry Mac but it is very difficult to take conspiracy theories seriously when something as inaccurate as this is said. All viruses are antibiotic resistant, antibiotics don't affect viruses in any way.
May not have stated the plot of the book as well as I intended. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dem ... he_Freezer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I realize wiki isn't the best source of information, but it tells you about the text. Also, I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all, I actually believe most of them are total bunk. But Preston makes some frightening assertions in his book.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".