Technical Question - Suspension

The news and your views about biking
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Re: Technical Question - Suspension

Post by Deegee »

Sounds like you're on the right track, with getting the front refreshed and resprung, but as Cav pointed out its the rear that's typically very poor on most bikes, the problem is one of both cost and compromise.

The oem Shock is typically a cheap unit, (unless you've bought a special model), plus it's set up to accommodate both solo and pillion riders, two completely different springs and damping rates, therefore you find on track the bike will not go where you want entering and exiting a bend, typically running wide when you up the pace.

From my own very limited experience, improving the front gives more stability on corner entrance and mid corner, improving the rear will allow the bike more corner speed and stops oversteer at corner exit. Hth, DG.

P.S. Bike improvements are most worthwhile with rider improvements to match - track tuition is worth just as much in speed on track as bike mods and can be very satisfying.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: Technical Question - Suspension

Post by Cav »

Deegee wrote:P.S. Bike improvements are most worthwhile with rider improvements to match - track tuition is worth just as much in speed on track as bike mods and can be very satisfying.
Here here !!

As for what you were saying about the running wide when picking up the pace, without changing any settings I manage to stop my bike from running wide by changing my riding style. Instead of trying to carry all my corner speed from turn in I would slow down more and trail brake harder into the turns, come straight back on the throttle as soon as I have released the brake, very slowly increase throttle (this keeps the bike turning despite barely increasing speed by transfering weight to the rear thus giving you more grip when you want to fire it out of the turn). When I know that I can accelerate hard without letting off the throttle (this costs a LOT of time) I would lean my upper body off further as I stand the bike up and pin the throttle all in one motion.

I found that my terminal speed as I brake for the next corner is as much as 10mph higher which account for a lot of time saved.

Throttle control also sorted out my ground clearance issues. At the bottom of Craner on the right hander I used to scrape toe early in the day - by accelerating before the Apex the ride height of the bike increased and I no longer had issues