The new improved fitness thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: The new improved fitness thread

Post by Kwacky »

Sorry to hear that.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Fireblade_Ro wrote:Does anyone on here use a FitBit?

Im lacking in motivation to move... had the week from hell last week and to top it off Ive been made redundant (and that wasn't even the worst of it)... so if anyone on here has one, add me and challenge me please!

(my email is rohan_battison@hotmail.co.uk to add me!) otherwise a good strong kick up the butt and a dose of MTFU will help.
I haven't been made redundant before but I'd imagine you feel pretty damn low in yourself. When I get like that I tend to get quite destructive (over/under eating, making myself over-tired and barely sleeping). What I do now when I get low is direct the destructiveness into something positive - I improve my diet, I increase the activity I do and I end up sleeping better and feeling a bit lighter.

I'm fortunate that I can feel the benefits of the gym quite quickly which keeps me motivated - it also helps to make me feel like a small weight has been lifted from my shoulders..

As for the FitBit - sorry I don't use anything like that
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Week two of the 5x5
Starting to notice some physical changes, which I didn't think I would get while the weights are light.
Fireblade_Ro
Your Bike: 2003 Honda Fireblade 954

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

Wow Cav, thank you :) I have mixed it up with over and under eating... some days I just feel sick, others I want choc ice lollies at 10.30pm (om nom nom)

I couldn't bring myself to exercise for a while - the stress, upset and heart break of everything thats happened lately meant I wasn't sleeping... meaning I was exhausted when I woke up and went to work... and died on the sofa in the evening!

Started morning running again yesterday, and went to a circuits class tonight... Im hoping I sleep better tonight as Ive got another run planned before work tomorrow :)
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Saw the physio yesterday, berth given the ask clear to start light exercise but no running.

Need to find a cheap gym or do a one month membership at my old gym. Few decent cardio sessions and I should be back on my way to pre-injury fitness.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I take it you're miles away from a council run gym or swimming pool?
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I tried the local council run gym and felt lucky to have come out alive (sweat) I'm sure the treadmills where made out of bedrock..

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cav

Post by Cav »

Fireblade_Ro wrote:Wow Cav, thank you :) I have mixed it up with over and under eating... some days I just feel sick, others I want choc ice lollies at 10.30pm (om nom nom)

I couldn't bring myself to exercise for a while - the stress, upset and heart break of everything thats happened lately meant I wasn't sleeping... meaning I was exhausted when I woke up and went to work... and died on the sofa in the evening!

Started morning running again yesterday, and went to a circuits class tonight... Im hoping I sleep better tonight as Ive got another run planned before work tomorrow :)
I'm a sucker for Ben and Jerry's Icecream if I stay awake later than 10pm!

It's horrible when you get that low but I've been able to push myself through it. It gets easier to make yourself go but you also have to be realistic about this and allow yourself to rest otherwise you will end up feeling worse. If you did physical activities 3 times a week before this, try to do 2 days now. If you went 5 days a week before hand try to do 3 or 4 but space them out a little bit. There's nothing worse than feeling run down from going to the gym too much!

I really enjoyed running in the morning but hates the even earlier than normal get up so far play to you if you can make that stick !!
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Well it took me 9 months since my last run but I finally broke out the shoes and got back into it. Only a 5 km on the treadmill but I was only 30 sec off my pace I was doing when in the thick of training. My job keeps me pretty fit and I am always on the move when home so it seems to have held a good base.

The 5km took me 22.50 at 4.34 min/km pace, so not bad after a 9 month break! Felt good though, best my mind has felt in ages.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Welcome back mate (y)

I too broke out the running shoes last night for the first time in 5 or so weeks. A gentle 5 mile road run with the club, leg felt fine but this cold sat on my chest is really slowing me down.

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Week 3 of 5x5 and I'm struggling with overhead press, but that's no surprise given the history with my shoulder.
Cav

Post by Cav »

If you're struggling to progress with something try changing it a little. Either go heavier for less reps and more sets (6/7 sets of 3) or go lighter with less sets and more reps (4 sets of 7)

This will help you to get over any plateau - do this for a couple of weeks then go back to 5 x 5 and you will likely find you can lift heavier than you are now. I have to shake it up fairly regularly because I don't push past where I'm at - for example I would struggle for 3 x 10 pull ups. I ended up for 5 x 5 then 5 x 7 and now I can do 7 x 7 (just).
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The overhead press is a new one for me which may be why I'm struggling with it. If I do plateau I'll switch it around as you suggest.

I'm starting to get good form with the squat now and can feel the movement when I push up.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Gotcha.. didn't realise it was something new.

I hate squats but love calf raises... don't know why
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm on week 3 of the 5x5 so I've got 9 weeks left. I must admit I am enjoying it as it's simple and it's forcing me to go to the gym three times a week.

I'm going to draw up my own 3 day programme near the end of the 5x5 so I've got something to aim for. I intend to move away from the "chest day/leg day/arm day" etc routine and have a mix of exercises for each day with a compound exercise or two for each session.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Nice !

I've done something similar. So I'll do Back, Chest, Shoulders, Legs on their own days. As well as that I do at least one day of mixed activities trying to use body weight as much as possible in place of weights.

This includes: Jump squats with leg tuck, push ups, pull ups, 1 leg weighted squats, kettle bell clean and press, hanging leg raises, dead lift, and various other core exercises. I always pair them up too so I would pair: push ups with pull ups, jump squats/leg tuck with hanging leg raises, etc. As much as possible I pair up with opposites (push/pull).

After every session I do a half hour to an hour swim as well. I need to pick up my circuit style workouts though as I'm starting to put the fat back on that I lost.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I don't do enough cardio. I need to get my bike sorted and back on the road. It's only a cheap hybrid but it's good enough for me.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:I don't do enough cardio. I need to get my bike sorted and back on the road. It's only a cheap hybrid but it's good enough for me.
I've been toying with the idea of getting a bike too and starting training for a Triathlon - then I realise how stupid that sounds! haha...

I struggle with Cardio too although I do about 20 minutes on the treadmill, bike or cross trainer before every session. Typically 10 minutes relaxed to build up my heart rate and then 10 minutes HIIT. 20 seconds at 100% followed by 40 seconds rest for 10 sets. 10 sets is the aim anyway, I'm yet to break 7 sets !!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

10 minutes warm up on the cross trainer or bike and I end my sessions with about 4 or 5 minutes HIIT, depending how knackered I am.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cav if you PM me your email address I'll send you over a HIIT programme from London Muscle. It's got about 12 exercises including some you can do in the water.