Cheap camera

The news and your views about biking
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Cheap camera

Post by Rossgo »

Actually looks very good there Kwacky. Think it's best on your lid as you commute best place to be able to see what's going on of anything does happen
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

That looks good. You gonna commute with it and give us a show? :)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Just a personal thing but i'm not sure i would want a camera attached to the side of a helmet in the event of a crash on that side.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

How so Duke?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

C00kiemonster wrote:That looks good. You gonna commute with it and give us a show? :)
If it's light enough I'll take the long way home tonight and film it.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Kwacky wrote:How so Duke?
Probably just me but can't help thinking you dont want anything that could possibly work against a helmet doing its job of protecting your head in an accident.

Arai are currently making a big advertising point of saying their helmets are as smooth as possible to make them work they way intended.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Tried the camera out. It's recorded in 5 minute sections so I need to change the settings.

It's lasted longer than 40 minutes as suggested on the reviews and backs up what my mate said about it. There's loads of life left in it.

I positioned the camera on the lid to be parallel with the road. The thing is, I like to get a move on so my head tucks down, which means that the camera angle is more towards the front of the bike. Trial and error.

Quality of the picture is good but sound is wind blast. I need to sort the software and the settings out. There is sound, which is something else people say there isn't on those reviews.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I was talking to a one of my team members a few days ago and we talked about peoples reviews. some people have some big opinions on things. Personally I think people just want a moan. Your get it sorted to how you want it Kwacky just a matter of time
Fireblade_Ro
Your Bike: 2003 Honda Fireblade 954

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

Kwacky wrote:Tried the camera out. It's recorded in 5 minute sections so I need to change the settings.

It's lasted longer than 40 minutes as suggested on the reviews and backs up what my mate said about it. There's loads of life left in it.

I positioned the camera on the lid to be parallel with the road. The thing is, I like to get a move on so my head tucks down, which means that the camera angle is more towards the front of the bike. Trial and error.

Quality of the picture is good but sound is wind blast. I need to sort the software and the settings out. There is sound, which is something else people say there isn't on those reviews.
I borrowed my mums GoPro Hero 4 and all I got was wind blast too... so I'm not expecting much else from a £40 version :)
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

I have to say Kwacky, I totally agree with Rossgo.: The camera looks "just right" mounted there.
I suspect that Duke63's reservations may be based on concerns about a Schumacher effect, but as it was explained to me he had the offending Gopro mounted on the top of his helmet.?
Fireblade_Ro wrote:.....I borrowed my mums GoPro Hero 4 and all I got was wind blast too... so I'm not expecting much else from a £40 version :)
I used to have my Gopro mounted on the underside of my fairing screen, looking forwards & through it. This virtually eliminated the wind noise effect.

I thought it was a good idea to have it running on minimum resolution for my daily commute, in case of an incident. However I no longer bother as I realised it may be counter productive, after reviewing the footage one day that I'd been running a little late. (doh)
Last edited by StMarks on 24 Oct 2015, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The position I had the camera means you can see the speedo, so the footage won't be published.

If I did crash I suspect the camera will snap off. It's stuck on, not tied.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

StMarks wrote:I have to say Kwacky, I totally agree with Rossgo.: The camera looks "just right" mounted there.
I suspect that Duke63's reservations may be based on concerns about a Schumacher effect, but as it was explained to me he had his Gopro mounted on top of his helmet.?
Fireblade_Ro wrote:.....I borrowed my mums GoPro Hero 4 and all I got was wind blast too... so I'm not expecting much else from a £40 version :)
I used to have my Gopro mounted on the underside of my fairing screen, looking forwards & through it. This virtually eliminated the wind noise effect.

I thought it was a good idea to have it running on minimum resolution for my daily commute, in case of an incident. However I no longer bother as I realised it may be counter productive, after reviewing the footage one day that I'd been running a little late. (doh)
I'm also fairly sure, if I remember correctly, that the go pro on his helmet was what caused his injuries. Not sure how true that is, but you can see how what is designed to be an indestructible box could cause problems. It put me off ever attaching one to my helmet.

Kwacky's one is very different to a go pro to be fair but still not sure I'd want it on my helmet, no offence just my opinion. I'd also worry about Mr policeman spotting it lol. Could they take it off you if they wanted?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's now too dark at night to do any filming and the motorway run into work is really boring.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Excuses excuses!!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The only videos I've got are facing down towards my speedo.

I ain't airing those . Nonono.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Hahaha!! Don't blame you!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The best one is seeing a 40 sign painted on the road as my speedo shows 84 :D
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

How do you rate the quality of vids?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

good mate.

I'll see if I can find a clean one to post.
Fireblade_Ro
Your Bike: 2003 Honda Fireblade 954

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

Mines arrived!!! And fitted!!! And I recorded my ride tonight, even caught a near miss and some ninja style filtering :) it isn't great with low light... but its clear enough that if you needed to prove what went on it would show it :D VERY pleased.

Forgot to add - sound quality is terrible... all you get is wind... but I'm not interested in the sound so Im not bothered. My dads GoPro Hero 4 makes almost as much noise so I guess its what it is!

When I figure out how to upload a video I will - just watch on silent unless you want to be deafened.
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.