Skiing!

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Fireblade_Ro
Your Bike: 2003 Honda Fireblade 954

Skiing!

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

Hello! I'm looking for some advice about skiing. I've only been once before as part of a group of 6 - the chalet we had was out of this world amazing.

This year it's just me and my partner skiing... as its only two of us I'm guessing we'll be restricted to a hotel/studio flat (I don't fancy sharing with horrible unknown sweating specimens!)

My question: Do you have any experience of skiing as a couple... or know of places that are affordable for 2, close to the ski lifts and with some form of night life (I'm clinging onto my 20's... I can still party... I think!)

My partner has done St. Anton, Val D'Isere, Tignes, Chamonix, Les Arcs and Kitzbuhel. Looking for somewhere different maybe... yet good for noobs on skis like me...
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Skiing!

Post by Kwacky »

Any ski resort will have a good selection of runs and accommodation.

My best advice is decide before hand how much you want to spend, then work back from there.

The better named places are more expensive. Don't discount Andorra, Bulgaria and even Poland.
Fireblade_Ro

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

Think we're probably looking to spend a total of £1500 - £2000 for the whole trip (to inc flights, transfers, hotel, ski hire, lift pass)

We're not too fussy on the size of the hotel/studio flat... and happy to go for a lower quality to get better skiing :)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

If you want to, call my mate Andy on 0121 323 3922 who owns Sutton Travel and have a chat with him. I'm not pimping him because he's a mate, I'm pimping him because he's good. Mention my name, he knows me as Kwacky. He'll look after you.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw we ski as a couple every year. It sounds like your OH has a fair bit of experience, so don't know what I can add to the mix really Ro.

Plenty of companies do Chalet holidays that you can do as a couple without needing to know the others. I find that fine, in fact ( as with trackday goers) most people who like to ski & are on holiday are pre-disposed to be good company.
Deany prefers Hotels, as she prefers to be free to choose her company, although she does like Club Med ski holidays which I feel have both factors.

I'm not really a party type, I'm there to ski & anything else is incidental IMO, but a ski holiday without plenty of wine &,,,er,,, company, would be seriously tedious.

I have yet to find any ski resort that you can't have fun & party in, so perhaps you shouldn't make wanting that a pre-requisite.
Fireblade_Ro

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

StMarks thanks!!! Where exactly have you been to? We're looking at around 5th December to 12th December so I'm hoping most resorts will have plenty of snow around then!

Chris isn't so forgiving of other peoples habits... whereas I'd be happy sharing a huge room with 10 others! Hence it probably being a hotel sort of stay this time :)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Its already snowing in parts of Germany, Holland and Belgium.
JT
Your Bike: Daytona 675

Post by JT »

Hi,

New to forum, so hi all. saw this thread and thought i'd give my 2p worth.

Me and the wife go every year to Tignes, total ski do some good deals on chalets. You can get ones that have from 6 - 26 people. You obviously have your own room and bathroom but you have evening meals and breakfast together. Which is nice for a pre and post day chat with others. Tignes is all round great for skinning and nightlife.
Fireblade_Ro

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

Slightly off topic... Duke you're nearby me... by any chance are you part of the SAMMs IAMs group? Riding this Saturday from Telford services...

... Im hoping that snow in Germany etc doesn't creep over this way any time soon!!!!

jT.... would you advise the group chalet share then? I'm quite up for the idea... just need to talk the other half round! I could do with someone cooking my evening meals for me and that just won't be happening in a hotel/studio flat...
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Fireblade_Ro wrote:StMarks thanks!!! Where exactly have you been to?
Courchevel 1850
Sauze D'Oulx
Val de Fassa
Les DeuxAlps
St Martin de Bellville
Winter Park (USA, nor Europe)
Chamonix
Grand Bournand
Obergurgl
Les Arcs
Cervinia
Andola
Claviere
Gressoney
Borovets

Some of them we've been to quite a few times (like Courchevel as that's Deany's favourite), & I'm sure there have been others I've forgotten to list.
Fireblade_Ro wrote:...... We're looking at around 5th December to 12th December .........
Always a gamble. When I was a child my parents used to take us for two weeks over Christmas every year. Some years would be amazing conditions, some utterly dire.
We tend to go Jan/Feb or even early March, but I prefer to watch the weather & book short notice when I know there will be plenty of depth of snow & clear weather. There is literally nothing worse than skiing in the rain.!
Fireblade_Ro wrote:........Chris isn't so forgiving of other peoples habits... whereas I'd be happy sharing a huge room with 10 others! Hence it probably being a hotel sort of stay this time :)
As JT points out, your room (usually en-suite) is always your private space. Some Chalets we have had have been in have seen us in almost "Junior suites" that put hotels to shame. The only real difference is the communal eating area tend to be more collective. That need not mean that Chris will have to endure anyone, because you can usually choose where you want to be seated, but it will mean that he will need to endure some company.

Hth
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Post by TonyB »

I'm skiing Bulgaria in Feb with my uncle. Bulgaria is supposed to be really cheap for skiing. I haven't looked into it too much yet as He's paying so I'm not too bothered.

My brother skis for his (my old) regiments team and is out in Val D'isere for 6 weeks from the end of November. I'm considering going out there for a week at then beginning of January too to see him and of course get some time on piste myself. All I have to pay for is flights and beer tokens, rude not to really.

I was looking into paying for my better half to learn to ski in the ski place in Tamworth with a view to her coming with me in Feb, is this a good idea or would it be better to learn in a resort? Apologies for the thread jack.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Andorra is good, some great slopes for all abilities, I was not on skis but a board, the night life was good, plenty of great places to stop all the way down the mountains good lifts, stunning views.
Fireblade_Ro

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

StMarks! wow! Thank you... all very helpful :)

TonyB - I did one session on the ski place in Reading - it was really helpful but I still needed two days of intensive ski school before I could safely get down a run (then I went for it and did a black run day 4 on skis) hehehe
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

TonyB wrote:I'm skiing Bulgaria in Feb with my uncle. Bulgaria is supposed to be really cheap for skiing. I haven't looked into it too much yet as He's paying so I'm not too bothered. ...
Borovets is in Bulgaria, it is the place where I first took Deany (as I didn't want to waste a lot of money if she wasn't going to take to it). It was very cheap (Although our "5* hotel" would have struggled to pass as a 3* in reality). The slopeside bars & restaurants were literally corrugated steel sheds & the lifts seemed to be ones that had been thrown away at the end of their useful life by the European resorts of the 70's.
Despite this we had a great time. The country was so poor that Deany's tutor was an Olympic Gold Champion skier.! I have no wish to return to Bulgaria, although I'm sure it will have improved in the interim, but I would be there like a shot if it were free.
Take cash, & DON'T confront the authorities. I am assured that it IS run by their Mafia, and they play by their own rules.
TonyB wrote:......I was looking into paying for my better half to learn to ski in the ski place in Tamworth with a view to her coming with me in Feb, is this a good idea or would it be better to learn in a resort?......
I've met a few people who have learned to ski on the artificial slopes in the UK.
It seems to me that the main problem is that it simply isn't really any fun, and although the grounding is useful they tend not to have a very positive feel for the sport. Bit like learning to ride a motorbike by riding it back & forth across a car park, you are going to understand how to operate it, but unlikely to understand how anyone can derive enjoyment from motorbikes.?
Can she Ice-Skate.? If not, IMHO you're probably better doing that with her.; Same sort of balance/control/muscles etc & more fun, more available & cheaper to boot.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:Its already snowing in parts of Germany, Holland and Belgium.
And don't forget Manchester (giggle)

Pop up Ro we have a spare room and you can try the black run on Piste Woodhead pass :P
JT

Post by JT »

Fireblade_Ro wrote:
jT.... would you advise the group chalet share then? I'm quite up for the idea... just need to talk the other half round! I could do with someone cooking my evening meals for me and that just won't be happening in a hotel/studio flat...
Yeah i would recommend it. To be fair it is a gamble with whom you'd be sharing the chalet with. We've done it 4 years in a row and have found the people to be all good, you'd always sort of gravitate to those who you find interesting and visa versa. It also helps to discover things and parts of the resort you've not manage to get to.

Also my wife is not a great when it comes to skiing, one year the instructor whilst good didn't help my wife much. One of the guys in the chalet offered to take us out. I was a bit dubious about taking up his time, however he was great and helped my wife no end. (at skiing that is....... ]:) )
Fireblade_Ro

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

Thanks JT! I think we could end up going for the chalet share now :D
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Fireblade_Ro wrote:Thanks JT! I think we could end up going for the chalet share now :D
IMO a if you have a really good Chalet Slave, it can make all the difference. 8-|
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Post by TonyB »

Just been planning my weeks skiing holiday in Val...

£91 return flights, Brum to Lyon
£70 return transfer, Lyon to Val
£167 5 day lift pass

Outbound flight is on 31st Dec so a nice new year celebration in Val D'isere for me
JT

Post by JT »

Fireblade_Ro wrote:Thanks JT! I think we could end up going for the chalet share now :D

No problem. we booked with ski total and found all the chalet staff with them to be spot on. personally i wouldn't go for a chalet that holds loads, perhaps 8 to 12/16. only reason the first year our chalet was 26, everyone was fine, just its hard work with that many good mornings, evening how was your day etc. Last year we had 12 which was perfect.

If you do go to Tignes make sure you go to The marmot arms for a burger one lunch time. proper sets you up for the rest of the day. They have specials which are nice but the Marmot burger is pretty good, well was last year anyway.