Shoreham Airshow Disaster

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Shoreham Airshow Disaster

Post by Kwacky »

It'll be interesting to see what the investigation reveals. The pilot was experienced and the Hunter involved should be able to do that loop with ease.

Tragic loss of life. It could have been higher. If you watch one of the videos there's a large crowd gathered at the road junction watching the display.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Shoreham Airshow Disaster

Post by duke63 »

Its a difficult one.

I've just listened to a debate on the radio about it.

Airshows are potentially dangerous but the biggest issue here is that those who have lost their lives were not even present at the airshow. I know they are not allowed to fly over the airfield where the spectators are but those people know their is a risk involved. As i said its difficult.

Who do you reckon would be liable here compensation-wise, Kwacky?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Tough one to call without knowing what went wrong. Any one looking to make a claim should go directly to the pilot and then to the owners of the aircraft involved if it's found that it was in any way defective and that the defect played a part.

Trying to sue the organisers is the obvious choice but as you point out, they didn't attend the event and unless it's found that the organisers allowed the pilots to operate outside of the strict rules in place for these events then it's going to be difficult to persuade a judge to find against them.

We have an excellent safety record in this country for airshows. It'll be a shame if they try to limit them or what they can do at them.
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Post by Norfolknchance »

I wonder whether there will not be some form of restriction on the flying of/ what you can do in these old types of Jets, what with that Folland Gnat going down not long ago.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Norfolknchance wrote:I wonder whether there will not be some form of restriction on the flying of/ what you can do in these old types of Jets, what with that Folland Gnat going down not long ago.
That's exactly what they've just done according to the BBC

Significant restrictions on vintage jets in air shows have been imposed after the Shoreham crash, the UK's aviation regulator has announced.
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said they would be "limited to flypasts" and "high-energy aerobatics" would not be permitted in displays over land.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Monty

Post by Monty »

I can remember a Hawker Hurricane doing exactly the same thing at Duxford when I was about 10.

There was a long pause from the announcer and then in a slow voice said "and if you look to your East you'll see Concord making it's first approach."

Carried on as if nothing had happened.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Its a tragic accident as sad as it is it happens just like the bin lorry months back. shame we will go all health and safety crazy over something like this

anyway

The road works were to blame if the people had not been queing in traffic .......
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The implications of this accident are I would have thought more to do with the price someone will have to pay for the deaths of 11 plus people. It's fear of being sued in future that puts paid to these sorts of events rather than health and safety laws per se.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Surely the answer is to just to do it over the sea, it's not like we have a shortage of coast line.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Monty wrote:Surely the answer is to just to do it over the sea, it's not like we have a shortage of coast line.
Agreed, what I can't work out is why the plane didn't do its stunts over the sea. Shoreham is next to the sea and they don't use it.

Plus the path of the loop de loop is directly over a main road? Nuts.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Monty wrote:Surely the answer is to just to do it over the sea, it's not like we have a shortage of coast line.
Best airshow I ever went to was on Lowestoft beach. Hot day, warmish sea and lots of planes flying by.

There was a woman on the radio 2 lunchtime show saying it was just unlucky for those who were driving by at the time. I'm sure she didn't mean it that way but it sounded very flippant the way she came across.

I think we all have a reasonable expectancy that we would not expect a plane to come crashing into us on a main road whilst appearing at a nearby airshow. Some very poor errors of judgement were made somewhere by someone.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

We don't know yet that he did the loop where he was supposed to. There's a lot of speculation in the press. Hopefully the pilot survives and has recollection of events.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Very very tragic accident and sorry for the families who have lost loved ones.

For what it's worth imo the manoeuvre was completed at too low of an altitude which then didn't allow enough space for the aircraft to regain a safe exit to the loop de loop manoeuvre.

I think the above has been the course in similar accidents. Purely speculation but possible reasons in the past I believe have been pilots wanting to make it more dramatic by getting as close as possible to their audience or a faulty altitude meter giving incorrect data and the stunt being started from a too low altitude.

Whatever the reason it was a very tragic accident and is awful news for all involved.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Someone argued this morning on BBC News that in the last 50 years the only people hurt at Airshows are pilots. He was suggesting that although putting the displays over water sounds appealing it would lead to a much higher risk for the pilots. By his account it is far safer to land on the ground than it is to ditch in water.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Is there a competence assessment on the ability of a pilot to complete stunts or is the fact they are a qualified pilot enough to allow them to carry out stunts ?

I guess the Red Arrows are assessed to a higher standard for their aerobatic work than regular RAF pilots.

My question is are there any assessment standards for private pilots in private aircraft to be liensced to carry out aerobatic displays at airshows over public accessed land ?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yes, there is.

You need a special licence to be able to perform stunts and acrobatics.

This gives some information.

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... appproc=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I presume there are ongoing requirements such as a minimum hours flying each year to make sure you keep the licence. I'll do a proper google later on.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I'm not sure they should be doing stunts with planes at that are 50+ years old anyway.

I have no idea how much of these planes would be original now but either way they are still very old designs.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm all for them flying. The design is good and they're easier to look after than modern jets.

Biplanes are a very old design but in the right hands they'll out turn anything out there.

Airbus have had loads of problems with a couple of their models.

People have to remember that this is a one off disaster in this country, it's not a regular occurrence. Let's not ban old jets and shut down air shows on the back of this. Otherwise we'll be banning coaches, ships, trains etc.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I don't agree with banning airshows but it's not correct to say this is a one off.

Only last month at Oulton Park car fest a plane crashed in a display and I'm sure there have been quite a few others. I remember many moons ago a harrier crashed at lowestoft airshow.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Just found this timeline and seems Shoreham has had at least 2 previous air accidents in recent years.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... e-timeline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;