Snowdon ride

The news and your views about biking
edski675
Your Bike: Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Snowdon ride

Post by edski675 »

Starting with an apology - I really can't figure out how to post a ride in the rides section.

So here's a URL instead. http://tinyurl.com/nlfylxg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At nearly 200 miles (!!) the ride is damn long, but it is do-able (as I do it) but you can shorten it to whatever you want, for example you don't need to go through Ruthin and Denbigh, you could turn left at the roundabout (nice road down to the A5 at Corwen, and take a right onto the A5, cuts off a long detour through Ruthin and Denbigh). Or stop over some place, Shrewsbury would be the best place.

The ride starts at Shrewsbury, heads out on the A528 to Ellesmere, take a right still on A528 to Overton-on-Dee, left towards Wrexham, left on A539 to Ruabon, and on to Llangollen, up the Horseshoe Pass, stop at the Ponderosa. Then (unless turn left at the roundabout) on to Ruthin, Denbigh, across Denbigh Moor and right onto the A5 to Betws-y-Coed, can stop there too, nice little place. There is a fuel station just as you come across the bridge into BYC, use it as the next one is a long way and if you run out of juice in the mountains then don't blame me!!!

On to Capel Curig, left, and then right into the Pass of Llanberis. Get to the top of the hill, and the mountain in front of you is Snowdon. Through Llanberis to Pontrug, it's almost in Caernarfon but not quite, take a left, I think it's opposite a pub and signed Caeathro, leads to a roundabout, left down this fantastic road that you won't want to end through Beddgelert (sharp right over the bridge, if you turn left you'll come out at where you turned right into the Pass of Llanberis). Under the trees, take a left across the ickle bridge - really pretty this - and carry on until at Garreg you see the sign left for Rhyd (it's just round a left bend!). Awesome little road this, leads onto the A487 to Trawsfynydd, then the A4212 back to Bala. For those that don't know the A4212, you have a treat in store.

If you don't stop in Bala - chances are that you'll want to, (fuel is turn right and at the end of the street, cake also turn right and take your pic from the cafes,) then at the crossroads do a dog leg right then immediately left onto the B4391. Carry straight on, after about 4 miles it starts to get really twisty - beware the two tight hairpins!!! - and up up up across the Cambrian Mountains. After you've come down, through Penybontfawr, the roads starts climbing slightly after a caravan park, the left turn is well hidden - B4396 for Oswestry. If you don't take this you'll get lost. Sharp bend in the small village, at end turn right and then at Llynclys (it's in England, pronounced Lun-clas) cross the A483 (NB - busy) and on through Knockin, the road comes out on the A5 dual carriageway, just a few miles back to Shrewsbury.
Attachments
Snowdon.jpg
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Re: Snowdon ride

Post by D6 »

Looks a good route
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Does look nice, I am sure I this was most of the roads from last years 675 fest run...minus the farm tracks lol
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

The events section only lets you create a new topic if you're creating an event in the diary.

http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I get chance I'll add the route to the routes section.

Thanks for this.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

and this is how you add a new route:-

http://www.tankslap.co.uk/postnewroute_howto.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Great info thanks edski (y)

What is the police presence like in this area ?

I have heard of heavy policing especially at the Ponderosame with people being pulled on the car park for small plates or race exhausts.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Ed, can you email this too me as a KML file?
edski675

Post by edski675 »

WTF is a KML file... some of us left school before the PC was invented :)

Police presence - occasional. I have rarely seen much up the Pondy. I've never seen ANY around Snowdon. Frankie yes it was, but not the Ruthin and Denbigh bit.

I'll do another route later today, and post up my faves gradually...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Ed, if you follow the instructions I posted it'll show you how you end up with the file type I mentioned.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Cheers ed really appreciate your sharing the routes
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

The fest was amazing Ed so sure people here will love this route too.
edski675

Post by edski675 »

We didn't do all of that on the Fest, Ross - we didn't do the bit around Denbigh Moor.

On routes generally I have a pile in mid Wales and also in south Shropshire but I don't want to annoy people by hogging the board so I'll post em up over the next few weeks.

Ed
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Slap them all up. I can sort them out when I'm back.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Tankslap are always looking for personal favourite routes Ed. Just a shame I'm so far away from the cracking smooth tarmac like Wales!