Custom made leathers

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Custom made leathers

Post by D6Nutz »

I'm sure a couple of people here have had leathers made. I'm looking at all available choices in getting new leathers and would like to know people experiences with the companies, the quality of the leathers, and costs compared to an off-the-peg suit.

Cheers..
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Custom made leathers

Post by Kwacky »

Moonwitch did. I think Paul Cunvin had a set made for him by a bloke up in Scotland. I think it's NF Moto leathers.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I think a few people have bought from NF and been happy with the results.
There are a lot of deals out and about on leathers, I would go and try a load on and see which fits best, as different manufacturers seems to fit different regardless of being the same size on the label.

Once you know what you want check all the web, I found a difference of hundreds of pounds for the same suit when I was looking before. Seems to be companies in mainland Europe doing some cracking offers.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Be aware also that many of the big companies make leathers that have different fits for different countries so if you buy from mainland Europe the fit may be different to a UK suit.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

plenty of thundersporters wear the NF leathers , I think I'm right in saying John Ingram wears a set in the BSB superstock 1000 too .
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Definitely a huge difference between different manufacturers suits in the same size. As frankie says try as many on as you can, decide what you want then shop around on price.

Manufacturers must also change their fit over the years too, as I have 2 astars suits that fit like a glove but the new stuff doesn't fit me at all. Same is true with dainese. I have just bought a dainese suit but when I tied one on a few years ago it was a terrible fit. Also big difference between a 2 pc and 1 pc suit in the same style from the same manufacturer. The 2 pc is a more comfort fit and the 1pc is a more race fit.

What are you looking for Nutz ? 1pc or 2pc ?
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I had enormous problems getting leathers that actually fitted, every one of the Italian manufacturers had an issue with short torso length, consequently all the suits were tight on the crotch to shoulder measurement and became uncomfortable after a very short period of time. So I decided to buy a custom 2 piece suit, I went to my local-ish place which was Hideout leathers near Saffron Walden in NW Essex, I have nothing but good things to say about them tbh, the custom suit was approx 10% over off the peg stuff from them, but I could have exactly what I wanted and incorporated a longer panel on the jacket tail for riding with bike jeans (stops cold back), extra vents, extra pockets, reflective piping from wrist to wrist and some embroidery on the collar, plus full built in armour. It came in around £1100 and was money well spent, the leather is reassuringly thick but still pliable, and best of all it fits perfectly.

There were 2 fittings involved, an initial and another when the suit was tacked together to allow adjustments to be made, at collection it was perfect, Kate and the girls had really come up trumps. Fwiw I've also crashed in that suit at high speed on track and walked away without a scratch or a bruise, (factor that in if you don't get paid sick money), the suit was repaired for £100 or so and is as good as new 10yrs on.

Would I recommend the expense of a custom suit? Yes, it'll always be better put together and will fit perfectly, stopping armour from moving around in a crash and generally can be repaired more easily than an off the peg suit which saves money. I suppose the only drawback is the lack of a fashionable race brand or MotoGP endorsement, but honestly my skin is worth more than that.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

If id did a lot of trackdays then i would invest in a custom made suit but I suspect those days are now gone.
Blade

Post by Blade »

The fit is important as it can effect how a suit holds up in a crash. Obviously poor fitting armour is an issue but if the suit is slightly loose and you can fold the leather even by 1/2" this is more likely to tear apparently.

Try some suits on you maybe lucky and get an off the peg suit that fits as good as a custom suit.
is there any dealers near you that stock a bug range so you can try multiple suits in one fitting.

If you wear an undersuit and a back protector take these to the fitting also.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I'd definitely support getting a correctly fitting suit. The elbow armour on my old suit (that I thought fitted ok) go dragged away from my elbow during that last crash and my elbow went thru' the leather on the upper forearm area. It's been 2 months and my elbow has only been out of a dressing for a few days and I will have a lasting scar by the looks. I went down a size in suit and it definitely fits a lot better.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I know it sounds strange but I sometimes think leathers and helmets are seen as accessories or part of biking fashion when their safety equipment / ppe first and foremost and as such your last line of defence in any accident.

By the best you can afford that fits you correctly is the best advice I have been given regards riding kit.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

The leathers I got made last time from the facebook group I had mixed feelings about and thought i could have spent the money on something better bought off the peg. I liked how they looked but certain things let them down the dianese emblems on the metal parts was poor. However my opinion has changed since my crash they were virtually unscathed apart from being cut to pieces by the ambulance team. The fit was good but could have been better. I think this was down to me taking the measurement as i was a little conservative. However i felt safe and protected in them and had full range of movement something that i greatly miss putting my alpinestars back on.
I will be getting some more made up i have made contact with the guy I'm just going to try and lose a few pounds before i give him the measurements as i have put a bit of weight on with not being able to go to the gym. Also i think i may go to a tailor and see if they will measure me up so I have someone with a bit of experience measuring me.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Get made to measure for sure ,crow tree are very good and bks ,not cheap but the best
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Rocket - don't measure yourself or get a tailor to do it, get the guy that's going to make the suit to do the measuring, he will know where he needs to measure snug and where he can allow a bit; trying to save a few quid here can ruin the fit of the suit and make it all worthless.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Heard very good this about Crowtree and bks over the years.

Did bks get bought out by Frank Thomas or some one ? Or has I just imagined that ?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade wrote:Heard very good this about Crowtree and bks over the years.

Did bks get bought out by Frank Thomas or some one ? Or has I just imagined that ?
Frank Thomas bought the rights and make the off the peg suits,bks custom leathers are still going strong in their own right.They do lots of work for the emergency services and police
I would love a custom built bks suit
Blade

Post by Blade »

What suit have you got Perkles ? Tbh I thought you did have a custom made BKS or it looked very much like one.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

To fit his belly?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade wrote:What suit have you got Perkles ? Tbh I thought you did have a custom made BKS or it looked very much like one.
No it's off the peg ,I tried loads on and its the only one that fitted,when I'm 50 I'm treating myself to a custom made bks suit
Blade

Post by Blade »

Sounds expensive, what's the damage on a bks made to measure ? It's the Rolls Royce of suits so won't be cheap.