Zero tolerance on speeding

The news and your views about biking
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Zero tolerance on speeding

Post by duke63 »

This seems top be doing the rounds on the net today.

Assuming its true, seems driving a vehicle is one of the worst crimes you can commit these days. What is this country coming too?

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/just-1mph ... d=15515387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Zero tolerance on speeding

Post by Blade »

You can tell the government is skint and trying to tax people in any method possible. If your concentrating on your speed so hard as 1mph over even for a second at the wrong place lands you points and a hefty fine your not concentrating fully on where you gong and what is going on around you.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I reckon 80% of the country roads we were on today were dropped down to 50mph. No reason for it. Drop 10 or 20mph off the speed limit and paint double whites for the sake of it.

A copper told me a couple of years ago that it's got very little to do with road safety and a lot to do with reducing costs. Crashes cost money, we know that. A road death can cost the government as much as £1.2m in hospital, coroners, court and various other fees.

Slower traffic also means that the roads last longer, so the councils don't have to spend as much. The roads last longer and they can get away with using cheaper materials.

I suspect this is scare tactics. The police will do a clamp down in a couple of areas, word will spread, the police will stop. They've not got the resources to implement it. The government can't afford to fill the courts with speeders. The Tories don't want to upset their voters.
Blade

Post by Blade »

It reads as it's just Scotland unless I missed something.
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

it will get to the point where people will just take their plates off to go for a ride and clip them back on afterwards.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

R34PER wrote:it will get to the point where people will just take their plates off to go for a ride and clip them back on afterwards.
Problem is the bike, helmet, leathers combo is almost like a finger print. There was a case few years back in Sydney with a biker pulling wheelies past front facing cameras, flipping them the bird. He got nailed eventually and they identified him from the bike/leathers/helmet combo. Even s level of personalized bling would bring you unstuck.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade I can fully understand what your saying and I personally do agree with what your saying. A ball flies past your car without you noticing because your checking your speed, a little boy follows the ball you lol up and see only the boy in front of you because you missed the ball (the ball was the warning of what could of come next). It really winds me up police saying about speeding but what do they really care about me doing bang on 30 or do they care about that little boys life and me travelling at say 35 and seeing the initial warning for me to react before the little boy follows.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:I reckon 80% of the country roads we were on today were dropped down to 50mph. No reason for it. Drop 10 or 20mph off the speed limit and paint double whites for the sake of it.

A copper told me a couple of years ago that it's got very little to do with road safety and a lot to do with reducing costs. Crashes cost money, we know that. A road death can cost the government as much as £1.2m in hospital, coroners, court and various other fees.

Slower traffic also means that the roads last longer, so the councils don't have to spend as much. The roads last longer and they can get away with using cheaper materials.

I suspect this is scare tactics. The police will do a clamp down in a couple of areas, word will spread, the police will stop. They've not got the resources to implement it. The government can't afford to fill the courts with speeders. The Tories don't want to upset their voters.
This all makes sense Kwacky. This country is so badly in debt they have to find the cash somewhere. Roads are massive place to save
Blade

Post by Blade »

To be honest as bad as our roads are there not as bad as a lot of Europe especially Italy.

Italian roads are shocking and I have never ridden on a decent one. Even the motorways have trenches in them. There two big to call pot holes and this is on the motorway and bloody dangerous on a motorcycle.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Never realised Italy was bad. Thought main land Europe were a lot better than our roads. That shocks me. Wonder if anyone will ever invent a road surface that will never crack from the weather and are ultra grippy and smooth!
Blade

Post by Blade »

They seem to do ok at race tracks. Don't see any weather induced cracks there. I guess they must be a higher specification of asphalt.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Rossgo wrote:Never realised Italy was bad. Thought main land Europe were a lot better than our roads. That shocks me. Wonder if anyone will ever invent a road surface that will never crack from the weather and are ultra grippy and smooth!
shellgrip europes covered in it
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Shell grip is good stuff. Although not when it wears! (Shell grip is the coloured stuff at junctions or sharp bends? Although Wales roads seem trippy enough and so smooth, and that goes through a hell of a lot of shit weather [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Rossgo wrote:Shell grip is good stuff. Although not when it wears! (Shell grip is the coloured stuff at junctions or sharp bends? Although Wales roads seem trippy enough and so smooth, and that goes through a hell of a lot of shit weather [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]
its not always red
Blade

Post by Blade »

I thought it was mainly a sand Colour and agree when worn its worse than normal tarmac and unfortunately most councils don't seem keen on maintaining it or replacing which is senseless as they have already identified the area it is located at as a high risk area in need of improved traction.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

The use it close to junctions and crossings as it offers the best grip. They colour it as a warning for road users. But it's too expensive to use everywhere.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I know where they use it but the stuff round here is worn out and has less traction than the regular tarmac is my point. If they are going to install it they need to budget to maintain it for its life time and repair it as nessacary. It's not responsible to identify a hazard implement a solution and then allow it to add to the hazard as it degrades.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:They seem to do ok at race tracks. Don't see any weather induced cracks there. I guess they must be a higher specification of asphalt.
They don't tend to have loaded freight trucks driving about on them either.

The twisty section up the hill to my place is getting resurfaced, it looks almost track quality, problem is it's the main route for trucks going west so it'll be screwed in 12 months again.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Blade wrote:I know where they use it but the stuff round here is worn out and has less traction than the regular tarmac is my point. If they are going to install it they need to budget to maintain it for its life time and repair it as nessacary. It's not responsible to identify a hazard implement a solution and then allow it to add to the hazard as it degrades.
'Councils' and 'budget' are two words that never go together, Blade.

Some of the stories I am hearing recently about the cutbacks being made in government and the lack of cash to do even basic and important things is quite frightening.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Blade wrote:They seem to do ok at race tracks. Don't see any weather induced cracks there. I guess they must be a higher specification of asphalt.
They don't tend to have loaded freight trucks driving about on them either.

The twisty section up the hill to my place is getting resurfaced, it looks almost track quality, problem is it's the main route for trucks going west so it'll be screwed in 12 months again.
Spot on, KK. (y)
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".