Best Samsung S5 Deal

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Re: Best Samsung S5 Deal

Post by D6Nutz »

I did a speed test of my phone on ee 4g and got just over 60mb/sec.

My phone is nearly double the speed of my BT infinity connection.

IMO your going to have up sides and down sides with every phone. Of your going to tie yourself to a phone for two years you need to be sure you can live with the down sides. This is the main reason I started buying handsets out of contract.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I'm pretty certain 4G is now standard on new contracts. If you're buying a 4G phone then you'll get 4G service.

I've got an LG G3 and my wife liked mine so much she got one. She used to use her kindle for watching catch up TV etc but now she uses her LG. What bad reviews have you read?

As for the earlier comments about Vodafone I think you'll struggle to find any larger supplier getting 100% positive reviews. I know plenty of people who have swapped to Vodafone and loved it. I know loads who can't wait to move away from them. Go to any busy forum and post that Virgin Broadband is better than Sky TV and you'll need the riot police. People like different things and have different customer experiences.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Cheers lads.

Kwacky no bad reviews on the lg g3 just some minor comments in comparison reviews wtih the Samsung s5.

One thing that is mentioned in most reviews is although the screen is awesome and QHD its not the brightest and if it gets hot which apparently powering all those pixels is does it drops the brightest automatically which can make viewing in daylight difficult apparently.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

There is a setting which allows the phone to automatically adjust the brightness. Or you can switch it off and adjust it yourself. It takes two touches of the phone to switch between the settings.

As mentioned above, my wife uses hers all the time now to watch films and TV shows. I suspect if you tried to use it outside on a sunny day you won't see much but that's got to be true of anything with a flat screen.

If you're running games or videos then it will warm up but that's because there's a decent processor in the phone. I wouldn't call it hot. I've never been concerned by the warmth from it.

There's a good thread about screen brightness here:- http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g3/ ... ghter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it worth going into a phone shop and trying the phones out?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Yes just been in a few shops and everyone is saying go with the s5 and tbh the screen does look better on the s5 which is something to do with it being super amold technology. Appernetly this means its not a back lit lcd but each pixel is lit individually so gives better contrast. Also not sure how true and maybe you can tell me different but the ee shop don't sell the g3 handset as they say it's not capable of true 4g speeds as its cat 4 and runs much slower than their network delivers.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

There are times when my G3 runs faster on 4G than on my wifi.

To be honest if you're limiting yourself to 1Gb of data you won't be taxing your 4G connection. I really wouldn't worry about the 4G side of it. If you prefer the display on the Samsung then go for that.

I suspect that they're not selling the G3 as the G4 has come out and they're pushing that. There is a Cat .6 LG G3 but the tests show very little difference.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers Kwacky I suspected they might be telling porkys and there is another reason, probably commercial as you say why they dont stock it.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

We had a load of problems with various phone shops when my wife was looking to upgrade her phone. I suspect certain companies are more generous with their deals than others. A few years ago there was a massive push on HTC so customers got a good deal, as did the dealers. HTC became popular then the deals dropped off.

My wife wanted an LG and both of the shops we went to told her they were crap. One pimped Samsung and another pushed for Nokia.

In the end we went directly to Vodafone. The think that sticks in my throat is that I got her a better deal for the G3 than I got my for myself (facepalm).
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I have a LG G3 on ee double speed EE.

Was a good deal and very happy with the phone.

I don't get 4g where I live though anyway.
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

I switched from 3 to ee and from the galaxy s3 to s5. I love the phone but the network coverage where I live sucks. I went to ee because the mrs had better coverage on her orange handset than I had on 3 but ee are just as bad as I was getting on 3 (can't even get an outside signal at home) but it costs me a lot more on ee than I was paying on 3. they also refused to do any deals on data even after calling them. i'll be swapping away from ee once my contract ends that's for sure.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Seems like most things there's good and bad wih every outfit.

Some very useful help and advice though and thanks it is genuinely appreciated.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Nope, I've had a Vodaphone contract (work) for 15 years on various different phones and they have been consistently sh!t (lol)
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I've been with orange/EE for 8 years now every time I say I'm leaving to go to another company they used to up the anty and throw in what ever you wanted...I never wanted to leave as I found their signal/ offers and customer services to be the best you could ever hope for.

However it is now EE and in flow swing now so on my latest phone (HTC M8 ONE - I think) they have totally changed their whole outlook at customers I feel at least. They now bombard you with calls/ texts of offers etc and now have a seriously premium price for their contracts and seemed more than happy if I left them when I said I would go to three due to price! But managed to swing a deal never the less after calling for a week - had to find that one salesman who wasn't quite hitting targets and I found him

However I can't stand more...

3 - I was with them when I was 17 and the customer services were from India and just read the same script for everything and by the sounds of it that hasn't changed. They just don't understand anything more than the script. Plus a mate at work bought a 3 contact a year or so ago after hearing the signal was amazing. He got his phone and found out his area he had absolutely nothing. Found it hilarious at the time. salesman are gits ent they haha!!

O2 - terrible. My partner was with them for years. I once had to go into shop to sort them out over a matter as they refused to do anything about it with her. Oh and they took a broken phone for fixing, sent it back to store a week later and said its all fixed etc. When turned it on at store they quickly realised it wasn't even touched!

Vodafone - personal problem. walked in within a second I had a salesman trying to talk me into a 24 month contract on the first phone I looked at in Slough this was when 18month contracts where a long time and people thought you were idiots for getting that length of time haha. Seriously after that I won't ever go near! 1 salesman can spoil it all!! Couldn't believe it
However my partner is now with them and their signal seems OK to me and internet sometimes is quicker than EE so helps out when out and about

All personal reasons I realise but I have strong opinions and a bit of a stuck in the mud when it comes to certain things!.

Don't think I'll ever leave EE to be honest they have to really piss me off to Go off to any of the other companies!!

PS this is coming from a man who when I was looking into making my own bank account etc I chose from the look of the place...the shame of it...I'm still with HSBC even now and quite happy!!
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers Ross go as always a very comprehensive and details review. Much appreciated mate.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Got the S5 and chuffed to bits with it. It's a massive upgrade in performance . How things have changed in 2 years. Makes my old phone look like an antic.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Blade wrote: Makes my old phone look like an antic.
I think the user needs an upgrade as well (giggle)
Blade

Post by Blade »

I think your right (blush)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I'm always surprised with the upgrades on ever phone from year to year. Amazing to think how quick the new phones get now.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Very true Rossgo.

Where will it all end ? It's almost like there is no further room for improvement but I'm sure there will be.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I think phones as we know them have nearly reached their peak.

I think the next path will be miniaturisation and wearable. I foresee a return to the Bluetooth style earpiece with a wearable screen on your arm.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti