What did you do to your bike today ??

The news and your views about biking
Tricky
Your Bike:

Re: What did you do to your bike today ??

Post by Tricky »

Blade wrote:Hopefully not a stupid question, but why does it need to be detachable Tricky ?
theres no such thing as a stupid question, everything is easy when you know.
on this particular (race) bike, i dont need a rev counter, in fact there are no lights/gauges at all. to save spending £££ on something i dont need, ive rehoused/wired a standard road bike tacho that i can quickly plug in/out. although as per ACU regulations i dont have to have one, the noise testing scrutineers still have a moan at me (and others) for not having one.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Cheers Tricky thanks for explaining. I guess you change up when the drive curtails or you get a feel for where you are in the rev range based on noise.

Do you have a shift light ? Or are all gear changes based on feel ?
Tricky
Your Bike:

Post by Tricky »

Blade wrote:Cheers Tricky thanks for explaining. I guess you change up when the drive curtails or you get a feel for where you are in the rev range based on noise.

Do you have a shift light ? Or are all gear changes based on feel ?
no shift light, just sound and feel, proper old skool, lol.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Road it to work...and then realised why i don't do that very often.

The time you gain in arriving early is lost when you consider you have to get your gear on before you leave and then off again at the other end.
Tricky
Your Bike:

Post by Tricky »

duke63 wrote:Road it to work...and then realised why i don't do that very often.

The time you gain in arriving early is lost when you consider you have to get your gear on before you leave and then off again at the other end.
been there before, i suppose one could justify the getting in/out of gear would be if the journey was either quite long or if traffic is always really bad, or the road/ride to work is a fantastic one, but then again, what road to work is a good one!
Tricky
Your Bike:

Post by Tricky »

although a productive day working on the bikes, i did spend another 2 hours bleeding the very same brakes as the other day, and now theyre finally done.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Took the Multi to JHP with the intention of trying out the new one but the muppet who had it before me, didn't arrive back on time.

So i gave up and took the 899 out instead. I don't think i have ever sat on a sportsbike and felt so instantly at home as i do on that. Its like a modern version of my 748 with a lovely balance of power and handling and so agile. Proper road going sportsbike and loads of fun as you can ride it hard on the road. Quickshifter is the best i have used to date.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

changed the plugs on the blackbird £17 a plug and a pain in the bum to do did a oil and filter change then took it for a little spin. Nice to on a bike again.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

rocket wrote:changed the plugs on the blackbird £17 a plug and a pain in the bum to do did a oil and filter change then took it for a little spin. Nice to on a bike again.
£17 per plug bloody nora and i thought porsche parts were expensive !
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Perkles wrote:
rocket wrote:changed the plugs on the blackbird £17 a plug and a pain in the bum to do did a oil and filter change then took it for a little spin. Nice to on a bike again.
£17 per plug bloody nora and i thought porsche parts were expensive !
I know i near passed out when he told me
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Fitted the battery and tested out the new R&R. Worked beautifully. The real test will come tomorrow though. Plus did a oil change. Didn't bother with a filter as only done a couple thousand miles on the previous one. Least it just freshens part of it up
Blade

Post by Blade »

Nice one Rocket glad to here you feeling well enough to get out on the bike. Hope your coming to Wales in a week or two, Wales wouldn't be the same with out Rossi in attendance again (giggle)
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:Took the Multi to JHP with the intention of trying out the new one but the muppet who had it before me, didn't arrive back on time.

So i gave up and took the 899 out instead. I don't think i have ever sat on a sportsbike and felt so instantly at home as i do on that. Its like a modern version of my 748 with a lovely balance of power and handling and so agile. Proper road going sportsbike and loads of fun as you can ride it hard on the road. Quickshifter is the best i have used to date.
Duke can you please stop posting rave reviews and stunning photos of 899's. Its making me seriously seriously want one, actually that statement could probably be upgraded to need one ;)
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Washed the bike.

Then started polishing it.

The missus comes out the front and says "Are you nearly finished?"

Knowing that I want to give it two coats because I haven't polished it all year I say no.

"Oh..."

Awkward pause...

"Well, are you going to come and spend some time with us soon?"

"So wait, let me get this straight, you suggest to me that I can wash the bike at the weekend so I can spend time playing with the kids during the week, yet when I try to do it at the weekend and take my time over it you start needling me to stop doing it?" is what I didn't say!

And yet when I go into the garden she's sat reading a f*****g book!

To top it off, later on I'm trying to look over the map so I don't get lost tomorrow and she starts huffing that I'm on the laptop during family time.

Whilst we're watching a film we've seen at least 10 times.

(gah) (gah) (gah)

Can't wait to get out on the bike now!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Itchy wrote:Washed the bike.

Knowing that I want to give it two coats because I haven't polished it all year I say no.

"Oh..."

Awkward pause...

"So wait, let me get this straight, you suggest to me that I can wash the bike at the weekend so I can spend time playing with the kids during the week, yet when I try to do it at the weekend and take my time over it you start needling me to stop doing it?" is what I didn't say!

To top it off, later on I'm trying to look over the map so I don't get lost tomorrow and she starts huffing that I'm on the laptop during family time.

(gah) (gah) (gah)

This is my partner haha!! I have to read the forums when she's not here too!! I think it's a general woman thing, and mine also seems to think do more to the bike than her don't understand that though, I only get to play with the bike at weekend and that's when she is working haha!! Just typical woman mine is, they can do what they want or whatever lol. I just find it funny as it's very small amount of time like once every few months maybe but when it happens she seems to make a big deal of it haha!! Think it's jealousy at the end of the day but they won't admit it!!
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I know exactly how you feel. Anytime I spend on the bikes and it's "there's this to do and that to do" then I get it in the neck because my triumph is still half built after 4 years and taking up too much garage space!!! Doesn't matter that the whole house has been renovated and outside has had major landscaping done all by moi!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Gave it some beans around Rutland.

The headers now have a nice blue hue to them. I'm sure they were there when they loaned me the bike (angel)
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Itchy wrote:Washed the bike.

"Oh..."

Awkward pause...

(gah) (gah) (gah)

You appear to be trying to apply logic again
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I washed my helmet (snigger) yesterday but it was still damp this morning so I rode to work using my Roof lid. I forgot how quiet it is compared to the Shark and Nolan I've been using.

Horrible weather this morning. Nice start to the week.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Yesterday ride to Beauliue for their ride in day. Was a shame it was raining all day but was a good couple of hours never the less. It was a good opportunity to test out the new R&R and it seems to be working do thrilled about that