Stonesie's GS Mods, Farkles and Tinkering

The news and your views about biking
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Re: Stonesie's GS Mods, Farkles and Tinkering

Post by Stonesie »

Today I called in to the BMW dealer to get a settlement figure as the online page is not showing my agreement, even the dealers online system didn't show it for some reason but after a phone call we have it and the insurance should cover that.
In the words of Tony, You are fully comp and the bike is a month old, they should pay the on the road price and don't accept anything less. They also can't replace your bike, there are no 1250 Triple Blacks left in the UK as production has shifted to the 1300.

Oh and the insurance are now having a grumble about 2 undeclared mods...
A 3DAM sat nav adapter
The Yoshi exhaust can

I'm sure I told them to include an exhaust can as I would absolutely be fitting one, and a sat nav adapter? Really? its £40 of 3D printed plastic to fit a Garmin XT on the BMW mount.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

After market exhausts are a standard mod on most insurance policies
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

They do have a really nice Rally in stock, 2 years old and 6 k miles, being a used bike seems to make the insurance happy too as the quotes online are not all 4 digits.

I've been considering a couple of adventure style bikes like V-Strom 1000/1050 and the Aprilia Caponord, I have some thinking to do whilst the insurance sort's itself out.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I called into my local dealer for the 1300gs launch, there was free food and coffee so I thought why not?

Well I won't be ordering one straight away, the first year of production always has problems to iron out. But I did get a quote for the 1250gs adventure, huge as it looks it's not much heavier.
It should have been obvious but they have a higher guaranteed future value than the normal GS, so on the same finance deal a slightly higher spec GSA is £40 cheaper each month... I have some more thinking to do.

As for the insurance, they have requested a settlement figure from me and the bike is already at copart so it should be wrapped up and paid out soon.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Not much progress, called the underwriter today and was told they would offer me the finance settlement figure + excess which they keep anyway... I told them to think again as the bike is irreplaceable, they're out of production and it was less than a month old so they will have to do better!

Apparently it will take 7-10 days to get an updated offer and then they will pay my finance company by cheque unless I personally provide them with the full payment details of that finance company... Do they not deal with finance companies all the time? they should have a direct line to get payments done fast and easy, surely?

EDIT.. I looked at the settlement letter which I have already Emailed over and right there on page 2 is the full payment info, bank account number, everything they say they don't have access to (headbang) /EDIT (gah) (deadhorse)

I will call them again tomorrow and give them the full on-the-road price which seems like a good starting point.

In future I will be looking at the underwriter on insurance, Markerstudy do not make life easy.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

There are some very shit insurance and insurance related companies out there.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

They're all out to take the piss.

I remember when I crashed a car with £15k. The insurance asked for proof of ownership so I sent them a receipt for a slender payment when I paid off the finance agreement. They took that value and said "that's all you paid for the car, so that's it's value". It was half the actual value. 6 fecking months that took.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

That whole situation seems crazy to me. In Aussie, we have agreed value stated on each years insurance certificate. It is usually the book value, and if I disagree I can have it lifted by proving why it's worth more (low km's for age, mods, extras etc) but once the certificate is issued, that's what you get minus excess as soon as they decide it's a write off. Pretty simple.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Okay, progress has been made.

They have increased the offer to just about where I had set my minimum and have agreed to contact copart and have my "Personal items" posted to me, That includes the radiator guards, sat-nav bracket and the Yoshi exhaust can. The one caveat is that the bike has to have an exhaust so I will have to get the standard can to them in Newbury... Shouldn't cost too much compared to a new exhaust.

Or after a phone call to them, they will not remove any parts which need tools, so I'm in for a 6 hour round trip to go and remove them myself as I am allowed to do that... Next Monday then, early start to Newbury and home by lunch time hopefully, get some sleep then go to work. (y)
Last edited by Stonesie on 16 Oct 2023, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They're not in any rush, are they?
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

It seems to be the way with Insurance, it was a straight forward one too.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Does it need to be you that removes the bits?

Newbury is just down the road from me, happy to pop over on a weekend if they're open.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Yeah, it has to be me as looking at the website I need the V5 and photo ID to get in and they're open Monday to Friday.

Thanks for the offer, it's appreciated (y)
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Got a payout for my GT-Air2... £350... Wish I could buy one for that but looking on the bright side, the replacement Scorpion Carbon lid was £304
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/758189

So that's paid for.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Stonesie wrote:Yeah, it has to be me as looking at the website I need the V5 and photo ID to get in and they're open Monday to Friday.

Thanks for the offer, it's appreciated (y)
That's a PITA..

Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

So todays boredom discovery, an insurance quote on a new GSA... £2260, 2 year old GS Rally £1090, Back to the Ape (Aprilia Caponord 1200) £380

I think we have a winner.

I will revisit the GS in a year or 2 so might keep the parts I have for one... But part of me want's to just bite the bullet and get a 2 year old GS so all my farkles will fit.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Go with what makes you happy. Life is too short to compromise on stuff like bikes
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Stonesie wrote:So todays boredom discovery, an insurance quote on a new GSA... £2260, 2 year old GS Rally £1090, Back to the Ape (Aprilia Caponord 1200) £380

I think we have a winner.

I will revisit the GS in a year or 2 so might keep the parts I have for one... But part of me want's to just bite the bullet and get a 2 year old GS so all my farkles will fit.
My dodgy maths makes it about £13 a week difference between the aprilia and the rally over a year...

To my mind that's a few coffees to cut back on and you get the bike you want..

Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I love Man Maths, and IF I extend your working out, a brand new GSA comes with a free set of the aluminium panniers and inner bags...

I will need panniers for next years trip to Spain and an aftermarket set runs up to £1K with inner bags so that's almost accounted for the insurance difference between a used one and a new one and the bike will be specified as I want it, trim off another Motorway Services coffee per week and that's done...

Man Maths has seen us go from a 7 year old Caponord being the sensible option to a new GSA...

Best thing is that my mum agrees, she's the financial brain of the family and wants me to get the new one (y)
"Any bike you buy, you will always spend money making it yours so you may as well just get the one you are happy with at the start"

Oh and the helmet and leathers insurance co have sent me a satisfaction survey before they have paid me £350 for a £550 helmet... I'm just not going to respond to that yet.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Can't argue with that logic
Monty™© MCMLXXII