Thomas Cook collapse

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Thomas Cook collapse

Post by Kwacky »

A couple I know were getting married next month in Cyprus. They've spent 2 years planning and organising it. They're really upset, they don't know what to do. They can't afford to pay for another wedding until they get their money back.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Terrible Kwacky.

Friend of the wifes booked a holiday with love holidays and the outbound flight was with TC. The hotel and return flights were with different companies to TC.

My wife's friend booked additional outbound flights a week ago worried that if TC went busted she still wanted to get her family including 3 kids away on holiday. Sounds sensible forward planning.

Love holidays cancelled her holiday as they thought she couldnt get there as her outbound flight was with TC. She has spent 2 days on the phone to get it all rebooked but she is still worried something will go pear shaped and who can blame her (blush)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The only people who seem to have won in this are the big bosses at Thomas Cook and those companies who buy and sell other companies and asset strip and then bleed them dry.

It’s something that needs to be addressed in law as it’s getting out of hand.

Sadly the travel agency business probably has a very limited lifespan.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Some of the stories being told are pretty sad, some weren't just holidays they were "last times" so many memories are lost.

I think one woman died on board from a repatriation flight, whether this was a direct result I don't know ,, but certainly won't have helped anyone with health problems

Hope everyone gets home and gets paid
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:The only people who seem to have won in this are the big bosses at Thomas Cook and those companies who buy and sell other companies and asset strip and then bleed them dry.

It’s something that needs to be addressed in law as it’s getting out of hand.

Sadly the travel agency business probably has a very limited lifespan.
Travel agencies will exist but move to online as that's where the demand is, and I dont blame people as customer service in stores is a dying entity sadly.

We always used to use our local Thomson shop but when the Ash cloud hit and we couldnt go on holiday we had to rebook. The shop gave us credit to spend in store to the same value as we had originally paid. Seemed fair at first but as we had booked 10 months in advance and got over £900 discount the price had changed considerably to for the worse.

We found the exact same Thomson holiday, on the same dates, using the same Thomson flights, in a Thomson exclusive hotel on the Thomson website nearly £300 cheaper than in store. The local store refused to price match. What's most annoying is at the time of the original booking they priced matched their own online price but refused to do it once they had us over a barrel with credit to be used in store only.

Needless to say my 15 year loyalty to that store ended on the spot that day (swear)
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

bb41 wrote:
I think one woman died on board from a repatriation flight, whether this was a direct result I don't know ,, but certainly won't have helped
This happens all the time. I read something years ago that Heathrow averages about 1 fatality per week from someone either dying on a flight, or getting off a plane and dying inside the terminal.
Figure it's a little city with millions of people passing through annually and it makes sense that one or two are going to reach their final destination a little ahead of schedule.
bb41

Post by bb41 »

D41 wrote:
bb41 wrote:
I think one woman died on board from a repatriation flight, whether this was a direct result I don't know ,, but certainly won't have helped
This happens all the time. I read something years ago that Heathrow averages about 1 fatality per week from someone either dying on a flight, or getting off a plane and dying inside the terminal.
Figure it's a little city with millions of people passing through annually and it makes sense that one or two are going to reach their final destination a little ahead of schedule.
Probably right ..but still a stressful end .

My youngest always books things individually , flights, hotels direct and she seems to get it very cheap.. If I ever get the chance to go on holiday , might have to look at doing it this way in future
D41

Post by D41 »

Well, to tell you the truth, the only reason I had looked it up in the first place was back in @ '05-ish I was flying into Heathrow and someone passed away on the plane. Maybe an hour or two before we landed. So they covered him up, and once we got down they brought the medics or whomever on board first to take him off.
Then they decided that rather than have him wheeled past everyone, they'd disembark everyone forward of him, then the body, and then those behind him.
bb41

Post by bb41 »

That sounds grim ,

Mr BB doesn't't go abroad anymore as it's too much hassle, insurance is horrendous as he has an ICD device fitted which always causes a problem especially if he forgets his security pass
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

My mate has a travel shop and he's doing really well. He knows that people shop online for cheap prices. If he gets anyone trying to take his profit away he refuses their business. He caters for people who want personal service and support.

Too many people are only focused on price and nothing else but they want gold standard service. That's why we're seeing so many companies go to the wall, not just travel agents.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Kwacky wrote:My mate has a travel shop and he's doing really well. He knows that people shop online for cheap prices. If he gets anyone trying to take his profit away he refuses their business. He caters for people who want personal service and support.

Too many people are only focused on price and nothing else but they want gold standard service. That's why we're seeing so many companies go to the wall, not just travel agents.
That is precisely the way Thomas Cook should have gone.

There are still people who are prepared to pay for that sort of service. It's exactly how my dad learned his trade.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Reading back what I said was just out of order. It's good that these people are getting a second chance in big companies. Think I just read it the wrong way in all honesty and took negative connotations of what I thought that meant and it pissed me off a little thinking it's not an equal opportunity for all which is what is the big thing in this country.

I do feel for these guys who have had their employment terminated through no reasons of their own

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49876407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Civil Aviation Authority said it had to refund 360,000 customers, three times larger than any previous refund programme

and still people are moaning about the delays!
D41

Post by D41 »

She's a former employee, I reckon her motivations may run a bit deeper than just a cancelled holiday.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I didn't say she was moaning. I said people. There's lots of tales online from people moaning.
D41

Post by D41 »

I'd make her moan. I'd enjoy it.
Her...not so much.