being a biker

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

being a biker

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

do you find biking sets you slightly apart from others? it's not everybody's cup of tea after all. Maybe that's why we seek the company of other bikers.

as you probably know, i'm an older guy and i definitely get the feeling that some of the locals here regard me as a delinquent haha. i'm not about to change my ways of course.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Re: being a biker

Post by D41 »

Are you the local roue, Thomas?? :D

I think it's my "alleged" lisp & stammer that set me apart.
And when I try to pass them off as part of my "English accent" it only seems to make matters worse for some reason.

People are tho thilly th.th.th.thometimes.

So anyway....I guess biking is my outlet for that sort of thing, if that makes sense?
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

roue ? - degenerate more like

it's a kind of puzzlelment that i detect - why would that old bloke risk his life like he does?

then there is one particular couple nearby who i am sure regard me as a weirdo for not conforming to the competive norm of replacing the car every 3 yrs with an even flashier model like they do.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Age is an attitude, and nothing more.....I've seen plenty of 20-somethings with much higher mileage on their faces than people three times their age.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

My family and friends thinks it's a bit strange I'm prepared to risk my life riding a bike seeings as I've got kids.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Yes I do. When i worked at my last place there were a fair few bikers either owning bikes at present time or having owned bikes in the past. It got me talking to people from workers to management in the offices and people who I would still quite gladly chat to even now. In my new place I've met 1 biker who I have had a good chat to but 99.9% of the guys I work with think I'm strange and some, irresponsible due to the legal matter of filtering thinking I could cause an incident. I'll be honest me being a biker has not helped me get friends at my new place

Other than that I'm not bothered, I'm happy that's all that matters!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Pretty similar experience to what previous posts have described. But more so with track riding, people just think the higher speeds equal imminent disaster, and lets be honest, my history of dropping hasn't helped. My ex thought I was irresponsible especially once we had kids, asked me when I was going to grow out of "this phase".

People either think its dangerous or get it, doesn't seem to be much in between.

Luckily Jess is a very accepting soul, and because it was my thing, took interest, accepted it was a passion of mine and now has embraced it. She loves going on the back and pushes to go out on the bike when sometimes I can't be bothered. She lately has been a bad influence and telling me to get a move on, even after i point to the speedo and prove we are 20-30 km above the speed limit!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The danger element is surely part of the appeal.

Couple that will silly acceleration and the feeling of swinging through bends perfectly and its a hard thrill to beat.

As a group fo society, bikes generally seem to attract a certain decent type of person but that said there are still plenty of nobs out thhere riding bikes too.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Defo are some nobs out there. Saw a video the other day on FB showing a bunch of riders nailing it in traffic on the motorway, not in GB must of been some main land European tw@s giving bikers a bad name. Those idiots make me ashamed because they literally put people into a serious situation if something happened, if the biker dies then fair play he knows the risk, his family won't let that lay there though so if he ploughed into an innocent car driver who wasn't expecting him to be nailing it inbetween cars at 100MPH or more then he goes down for manslaughter and if not then he lives with that on his conscious for the rest of his life, possibly giving up driving, loosing his job, could lead to family arguments, which in turn leads to divorce etc etc. Some people need to be educated not for life but for the effects of their actions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Rossgo wrote:Defo are some nobs out there. Saw a video the other day on FB showing a bunch of riders nailing it in traffic on the motorway, not in GB must of been some main land European tw@s giving bikers a bad name. Those idiots make me ashamed because they literally put people into a serious situation if something happened,
Probably British bikers doing silly speeds overseas. They're the worst of the lot.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Yep feckers. Being chased by gendarme helicopters too I bet.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Brexit will make sure they're never allowed overseas again
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Yes but we have inside contacts who can sneak us in.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:Yes but we have inside contacts who can sneak us in.
(happy)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:Yep feckers. Being chased by gendarme helicopters too I bet.
It's not a euro road trip unless you have a scrape with the law (giggle)
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Been overseas once on the bike, and as above it does seem its not a trip over there without a brush with the local plod......

(blush)
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
fidget
Your Bike: Ktm 990 superduke R and zx10r

Post by fidget »

we're still tarnished with the stuff the mods n rockers pulled waaaay back when.

as bikers we do get labelled as trouble, but then lets face it, most peoples only interaction with bikes is when they are doing 40 in a 60 and get River Island garb.
I like the fact that i can do the hobby i have had for nearly 30 years and that the other people who do it, whom i would never have met, will talk to me or I them at random places. Biking breaks down barriers, makes interviews easier, burgers enjoyable and ass kissing co-workers jealous when you walk in chatting to the boss and swearing to him.

Too many nobs out there - for sure, letting the side down - totally. Can we do anything about it? No.
For many these days it's a social badge they can get a couple more 'likes' for. WTF is a cafe racer good for? touring? riding fast through the country? playing over the moors?

Don't think so, it's for riding slow so everyone can see you and you don't mess up your waxed moustache and converse hi-tops.

They will get bored when the fashion changes or they get a bit dirty. Until then all we can do is try to educate them.

phew.
Never rub another mans rhubarb.