Catalonia

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Catalonia

Post by Kwacky »

Is it going to kick off in Spain?

Spain is set to put in place measures to take direct control of Catalonia in response to the region's declaration of independence last week.

On Friday, Madrid stripped Catalonia of its autonomy and removed Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont from office.

The temporary move will see as many as 150 of the region's ministers replaced. Some have vowed to continue to work.

Mr Puigdemont and other Catalan officials may face criminal charges, a move likely to lead to huge protests.
Scuff
Your Bike: KTM 690 ER

Re: Catalonia

Post by Scuff »

I still can't see how Catalonia are going to make it work?...... border control , banking , pensions etc. etc .... The whole thing just doesn't seem well thought through to me.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

None of these breakaway plans ever are.

Catalonia is responsible for a large part of Spain's wealth, which is why they want to break away. The problem is, Spain would stop trading with them and then they face the problem of trying to get into the EU.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Spain are out of order in this situation , Catalonia has its own culture and language , they are a separate people , as are the Basques and under article 73 of the UN charter should be allowed the right of self government , it's why we had to grant scotland the right to hold a referendum , it is'nt allowed under english law but to satisfy our responsibilities as a signatory to the UN charter we had to allow it . Spain has the obligation to do the same for the catalans and both Spain and france if the basques ask for it , I have heard that some of the northern italian states also want to cede from italy which again is only about 100 years old as the nation we know today .

Chapter XI Article 73
b. to develop self-government, to take due account of the political aspirations of the peoples, and to assist them in the progressive development of their free political institutions, according to the particular circumstances of each territory and its peoples and their varying stages of advancement;
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

having just spent the weekend there, the area is very divided. Many Catalans we spoke to also want to remain as part of Spain.

I think much of this is one politician trying to make a name for himself and then he does a runner.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

duke63 wrote:I think much of this is one politician trying to make a name for himself and then he does a runner.
I think in essence you’ve hit the nail on the head, there may be a few others involved, but essentially the Catalan Politicians in power are looking for their names to go in the history books without caring if they succeed or not.

It’s like Alex Salmond’s gang and their naked ambition all over again.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Kwacky wrote:None of these breakaway plans ever are.
Pretty much nails it. They sound great in principle, not so much in practice.

Just ask Texas.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Catalonia already has a fair bit of self governance.

The world has to learn to work together and set aside grievances from decades ago and not split itself into ever smaller parts.