BMW S 1000 R 2017 mini review

The news and your views about biking
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

BMW S 1000 R 2017 mini review

Post by Frankie »

Ok guys its time to settle in for a mini review on the 2017 S1000 R Sport.
As you are all aware I have had my S1000R Sport 2014 model from new and now covered 24,000 miles on the beast.
In all that time I have had to replace the clutch cable, but other than that in between the usual services I have changed pads, tyres of various types and headlight bulb.

So you can say the bike has been pretty awesome. I recently tested the 765 model from Triumph, lovely machine, but not enough for me to fork out cash to replace mine. As I said to Mick today, I am spoilt with the choice I made going from the Double R three years ago, and finding it hard to find a bike to get me off it.

Hence why I wanted to try out the 2017 model to see if that would tempt me away from mine. So mines in for the service and I have this booked for the day.

I don’t have access to the dynamic Pro rider mode on this one, it’s the one mode I ride in all the time on mine, no bother dynamic is feeling good so I don’t feel I am missing anything, well apart from getting a light front wheel, all these shenanigans are being curtailed ha ha on this machine, even in the two down pours I got caught it all felt stable and under control.

First thing I notice how easy it is turning in, this model has the HP wheels fitted, I checked on line and they are about £1300, (oh hang on that might be each) you can really feel the difference right away very sharp and feels on rails into corners. However starting with sitting on the bike, my feet position feels strange, then I realise standard set up obviously, I have the rizoma in the perfect position for me on mine, it does not take very long to adjust to it, but if this was mine I would change them. My feet also kicked the pipe a lot with my heel, I tend to ride on the balls of my feet even on the road so the heel kept connecting with the end can, again changing feet position would help with this. Big old can, nice sounding exhaust.

Everything feels similar, as it would, until we get to the quick shift as this model has up and down, mines only up, I was still using the clutch as I found it spongy rather than clunky you need to really stamp on it hard and forceful on the down shifts. The up shifts are silky smooth, like mine is now to be fair. I am sure I would get used to it.

They have changed the suspension, mine you have three modes, Hard, Normal and Soft, and in these modes the electronics does its work in giving you optimum feel and settings depending on what you have asked for Hard or Soft. On the new model you have dynamic and road, both are excellent and you can feel the difference right away, the dynamic is really for track and super smooth flat roads, and it is really hard. Road is spot on for the road, soaks up the bumps very well giving you a nice ride even for long runs. I put on 180 miles on this one today, almost non stop riding, and I was fine at the end.
The looks have changed slightly, some nice little modifications, still has the mad knife wielding mad man look about it though, which I like, it’s different.

I enjoyed the bike a lot, and when I change mine I would have no issue replacing with this one, would I do all I can to buy one now, NO, I have a bike now which is awesome, it makes me grin, I enjoy riding it, its been pretty good in the reliability stakes. If I was minted it would make sense to change the bike now and get the new model, but I am not, and need funds for lots of other things. So a new S1R will have to wait. But it is a thumbs up from me, it is a refinement rather than improvement in my mind as the bike is already a great machine, but then I am bias ha ha.

But it did not disappoint, and is up there as the natural replacement when the time comes. For now anyway.
Oh one last thing the tyres fitted were Bridgestone S20R, they felt really good, nice feedback. Saying that in these temperatures I think even the shittiest tyres likely to feel good ha ha, but they have not been on my radar before now hence the mention.
The End.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: BMW S 1000 R 2017 mini review

Post by C00kiemonster »

It does look like its been punched in the face and i don't like it in BMW motorsport colours. Would look better in a solid colour like yours.

Ace bike though i'll bet!

If your enjoying yours still, no reason to change!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

As you say, you've got yours spot on and you love it. It's not just the cost of a new bike, it's the expense of getting it set up again.

Nice write up by the way.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Cheers, and your right, its not just the costs, its all the added crap we chose to ignore when buying things like bikes lol.
I agree Cookie, I like mine in red, if I had another one it would be the red and black one they do.

Right thats it I have done my bit of looking at HP wheels and others like OZ wheels and full system exhausts, NO NEW BIKE THIS YEAR AND NO MORE BLING BITS... Thats it out of my system for another year.... there is something about testing and messing about in bike shops they kinda draw you in!!!
Not this time :)
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Nice review frankie :-)

Not sure it it's the white but the bike looks odd
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Nice write up mate. To be honest like others have said why change if yours is still making you happy so you are making the right choice for sticking with yours. Also always love following you on yours that thing is sweet and so quick!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Cheers mate, just fitted the belly pan back on again..... she is ready to rock......looks so much better with it fitted, hides all the cat and stuff.