Street Triple 765 RS

The news and your views about biking
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Street Triple 765 RS

Post by C00kiemonster »

I arranged to have an hour on the new Street Triple RS this morning after it spent all of last week raining here and me changing the date a couple of times so it was dry.

Anyhow, mission this morning was to test one of these and also get yet another derisory price on my RC8 to try and change bikes once again.

I've ridden a couple of 675 Daytona's before but not recently and I'll confess I've never ridden the ST675 so comparisons are difficult. I'm also coming from riding the RC8 for many years, which is a sledgehammer of a bike and wants to hurt you whenever it can, so bear with.

Nice dealer (Triumph dealer in Melle, about 40 mins from me in France). Warmed the bike up for me, then realised no fuel, so went and filled the tank for me. After doing the minimal paperwork I asked how long - as long as it's got fuel :) As it was I was out for about 45 mins as things to do today.

First thing i notice is how comfortable it is. More sit up than the RC8 of course, but other nakeds I've tested involve an element of adjustment on my part, but the riding position felt just right for me. It tilts you slightly forward, but not enough to put pressure on your wrists (more of that later).

Next to notice is the dashboard. It's lovely. I'm happy with function over bling tbh, but the dash actually works very well and you can have a number of different views (bigger RPM, bigger speed etc etc). It also tells me what fuel is in the bike (never had that before), what gear you are in (never had that either frankly) and lots of things like fuel consumption, range etc. You can also change riding mode on the fly. The RS has Road, Sport, Rain and Track. I had a quick play and the modes are noticeable but not overly so.

On the move and it's really light to control - clutch is almost too easy and the gearbox is better than my usual benchmark (Mrs Cookiemonsters 600RR - the gearbox is great on that) - it's like butter. Saying that any gearbox is better than the RC8 so don't take my word for it. Steers very well indeed and easy to get confidence in the first couple of minutes. Tyres are cold as it comes on Supercorsa's (which i don't like) but I'm not being silly.

Then the sound. Why haven't i had a triple before? This one doesn't have the arrow can option and i don't think it needs it. Quiet at standstill, but great when the taps are open. Oh and this has a quick shifter - a very good one, but i can live without one tbh. I had one on the RC8 and took it off and sold it. I'm sure if you track the bike its great. The noise if you blip hard while downshifting is fabulous.

A few overtakes - bike has more than enough power for the road - not quite the slug of power when I open up the RC8 but the point of trying one is that you can use more of the power a lot more of the time. After 10 mins I'm more confident and faster on the road than usual on the RC8. The suspension plays a big part in that and its so good on the road. One of my issues with the RC8 is that you need to ride it at 8/10s or above for it to sing. Thats not me these days and I found myself not wanting to go out unless really in the mood.

This bike is smooth at 2/10s or 8/10s (i never pretend to be able to ride a bike beyond that). It really is good at everything and very very quick when you feel like it.

The twisties come and go and the engine flexibility is good, torquey yet really revvy and as it's not my bike i'm mostly high up the rev range - not something i'm used to recently, but it steers very very well - i even had the back skip a couple of times - it does tell you what it's doing.

I didn't have long enough on the bike to adapt my riding style as i'm slow in / fast out with the RC8, but it's more than good enough in them.

Apologies for the pics as my phone is sh*t :D
IMG_20170704_104035.jpg
IMG_20170704_104020.jpg
IMG_20170704_104010.jpg
IMG_20170704_103959.jpg
IMG_20170704_103953.jpg
In my quest to change the RC8 i've spent a lot of time trying to decide what to replace it with. It's got to be easy to ride (the RC8 can be a pig on bumpy roads) and naked is the way to go these days for me i think. I nearly bought an MT07 as it was great and I loved the Duke 690 too - light, easy to live with, pop out for 20 mins without major kitting up if needed etc etc. I also had a nagging doubt the novelty value of these cheaper bikes and perhaps too much of a power drop. The Street Triple delivers all of the above and it's quick. But more expensive.

Buying bikes in France is the same as anywhere - exchange bike, pay money however I've never been offered as much as the RC8 was worth and to bring it back to the UK, reregister it, then sell it, then buy another, then re-register it is expensive and a hassle. The issue is i don't want to spend a fortune on changing.

So... Back to the dealers for a chat. How was the bike sir? Not bad i said (play it cool - its ace). Price on mine please.

Ok.... has a good look, what year is it? Mileage? We don't see many of these (i know you don't). Gives me the figure......Blimey (said to myself trying not to smile) let me have a think :D

I was offered way more than expected (for a change - most offers have been terrible) , so I've bought one (clap) Not the RS but an R which have just come out. Black with Red accents. (party) (party)
streettripleR_black_RHS.png
The R still has Brembo brakes which i love on my RC8 and the only thing I'll miss on the RS is the mirrors - the Triumph bar end mirrors that bend back over the levers are lovely. The RS has them and they are rock solid, but that can be changed.

I'll miss the RC8 - i've had her for 7 years now and she and I have had lots of naughty adventures together, but i won't miss not being able to feel my hand for a week (after the latest French rideout with Duke and Kwacky), the boiled testicles when it's warm and being bounced out of my seat when the road isn't smooth.

Happy Days.

Oh - it comes in 3 weeks or less!! o/ o/ o/
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: Street Triple 765 RS

Post by Cav »

Congrats !! I'm a little jealous as the 765 seems to be most of the bike I desire for the road (I'd like another 20bhp)

Can't wait for some audio ;)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Good choice sir. If I was going for a 765 I think I would have the R version.

So it'll be with you in 3 weeks you say? Just in time for you to run it in for me (devil)
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Good choice sir. If I was going for a 765 I think I would have the R version.

So it'll be with you in 3 weeks you say? Just in time for you to run it in for me (devil)
Err - thanks. :D

I did think that tbh - your ideally placed to compare with the 675 so you'll be welcome to have a go. Not sure it'll be run in - let me see how i get on ]:)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Like you can leave a new bike sat in the garage, doing nothing..... 8)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

*3000 miles later* - "Sorry I'm late Mrs Cookiemonster, I just had to run to the shop for milk but on the way I needed the first service and a new rear tyre"
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Cav wrote:*3000 miles later* - "Sorry I'm late Mrs Cookiemonster, I just had to run to the shop for milk but on the way I needed the first service and a new rear tyre"
(blush)

She's grumpy now anyway as I've bought a new bike and she hasn't :D
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Given the low mileage and the work you did on the CBR last year it almost is a new bike ;)
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Given the low mileage and the work you did on the CBR last year it almost is a new bike ;)
I did say similar and she knows how many hours i spent swearing at it, so no bad thing. I've told her a few times if she wants to change it she can, but she's not good at spending money. Good job i am then isn't it :D

She could ride this new one, so i'll placate her with that. I've run out of good husband tokens at the moment, so need to be good for a few months now :?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It might be worth registering on the Street Triple forum. http://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php?action=forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There are few 765 owners on there.
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:It might be worth registering on the Street Triple forum. http://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php?action=forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There are few 765 owners on there.
Done. Might be useful. I need (want) a new GPS holder to go on the bar clamp and to see what luggage solutions exist - i'd be lost without my Ventura rack which has been so good on the RC8.

Whats essential on a new Street triple? :x

Oh i remembered what i don't like about the new bike is self cancelling indicators and a very vague indicator switch - can't tell when i've moved it and had to look at the dash to see if the indicators were working.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

wahoo!

I like that your biggest worry with the missus about buying a new bike is that she's pissed she hasn't got one (lol) sounds like a top lass (y)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Good buying skills, Cookie. I am there in three weeks, just in time to finish the running in for you.

I think you made the right decision in going for the R model. I read somewhere the RS is really for those who do many trackdays but makes less sense on the road.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Nice one mate, its a nice machine I did take one out for a spin not to long ago, it does everything you want it to do that's for sure.
Still not enough to get me off the S1000R though, I still need that madness mine gives me lol

You will have so much fun on it, the induction growl beats the pipe sound any day, there is no need for an arrow it sounds and looks great as standard.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Nice choice love the speed triples
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've got some oxford stuff if you need it? Magnetic tank bag and the tail piece I used last year in France.
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:I've got some oxford stuff if you need it? Magnetic tank bag and the tail piece I used last year in France.
I forgot it has a metal tank i think. My other bikes haven't. I might have a small magnetic tank bag.

I'm ok for luggage ta - it's strapping it down thats useful to have the ventura for - it doesn't damage the bike then.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

oh nice bike had a good look round one when i went to the dealers the other day. Want to test ride one as they look loads of fun.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Cheers all - i'm really pleased.

Now to take any bits i have left on RC8 off and wait......