Whats the best job you,ve ever had?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Fireball
Your Bike:

Whats the best job you,ve ever had?

Post by Fireball »

In late summer 2006 I was working as the Engineering manager for a manufacturing company that suddenly closed down after 8 yrs working there. (facepalm)

Then in spring 2007 I took a job in Manchester ship canal company part of Peel Ports. What a great job that was. I totally turned the engineering department around saved the company millions of pounds. I managed lots of high value asset renewal projects which were fantastic in nature and sizable projects that taught me loads in project management.

The most interesting thing about working for MSC was being around water and nature. Being around the canal, river Mersey and sometimes travelling up and down the canal on our working boats, was just out of this world.

In 2012 after 6 years I left that job because of management changes that took place at higher level and I,ve been a freelance project manager ever since. Its a great job too and has allowed me to travel and work at the same time but I still miss working for MSC which really engraved some great memories of that place in my memory.

The canal infrastructure was really intetesting in regards engineering because it was all old victorian engineering still in place and still working well on assets like swing bridges, high level bridges, sluice gates, lockgates, various births on the canal. Being in charge of renewing those assets during those yrs were just the most wonderful experience and the best type of projects I,ve ever managed in my whole career. All that responsibility felt just fantastic spending £2m of the firms money annualy on projects freely as I saw fit was just brilliant. 8)

Thats enough of my good memories about a past job. what has shaped everyone else,s best memories from a position they,ve held in the past that they might wish to share? (happy)
Scuff
Your Bike: KTM 690 ER

Re: Whats the best job you,ve ever had?

Post by Scuff »

Of all the jobs the one I've enjoyed most was as a delivery driver , I only took it as a temporary position and I thought it below my skill set but I bloody loved being out on the road and meeting new people.

I stuck the position for 18 months and that was maybe 12 months longer than I intended , still have great memories from them 18 months :)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

working in a comic book store.
Fireball
Your Bike:

Post by Fireball »

Kwacky wrote:working in a comic book store.
(lol)
Fireball
Your Bike:

Post by Fireball »

Scuff wrote:Of all the jobs the one I've enjoyed most was as a delivery driver , I only took it as a temporary position and I thought it below my skill set but I bloody loved being out on the road and meeting new people.

I stuck the position for 18 months and that was maybe 12 months longer than I intended , still have great memories from them 18 months :)
Great memories are priceless. (rock)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I'm a software developer (for my sins), just over 6 years ago I set up my own company and went contracting. This is the best job ever as I can change clients whenever I want and there is an understanding that I have no desire for career progression and only go to with because I need the money.

The honesty is refreshing.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Fireball
Your Bike:

Post by Fireball »

D6Nutz wrote:I'm a software developer (for my sins), just over 6 years ago I set up my own company and went contracting. This is the best job ever as I can change clients whenever I want and there is an understanding that I have no desire for career progression and only go to with because I need the money.

The honesty is refreshing.
Software developers are always in demand. Well chosen path. (rock)
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

For pure enjoyment my best job was while in the RNZAF and had a posting to Nowra, Australia. We were a small Sqn and like a family, everyone chipped in, commissioned and non-commissioned barely had the divide it had in normal service. I got to see a lot of Aussie as we exercised around the country on average 1 week in every 4. I had world class diving 1/2 hr drive away and off-road motor biking at my door step. The work itself was maintaining the Skyhawk A4’s, loved those aircraft and the crew I was working with.

My current job is the best I’ve had for wages and work/life balance but it’s as fulfilling and enjoyable as a burnt stick down the eye of your pee-pee.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

My first job. Working as an apprrentice on the shop floor in an engineering company.

The work was good and the banter was amazing. Money was sh1t but the job was brillant.

Very rewarding producing something with you own hands and taking pride in your work and skills. Was a dam good laugh all day every day too with little of the bull sh1t pressure and lack of time to complete your work most jobs these days have.

If only I could make a comfortbale living for my family doing such then I think I would go back to it in a flash. Good times (lol)
Fireball
Your Bike:

Post by Fireball »

Blade wrote:My first job. Working as an apprrentice on the shop floor in an engineering company.

The work was good and the banter was amazing. Money was sh1t but the job was brillant.

Very rewarding producing something with you own hands and taking pride in your work and skills. Was a dam good laugh all day every day too with little of the bull sh1t pressure and lack of time to complete your work most jobs these days have.

If only I could make a comfortbale living for my family doing such then I think I would go back to it in a flash. Good times (lol)
I took on a couple of apprentices under my wing at MSC and I was always making sure that they,re happy being looked after by the other team members. (rock)
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Bodyguard.
Last edited by D41 on 04 Feb 2018, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:My first job. Working as an apprrentice on the shop floor in an engineering company.

I don't know what you're on now Blade but you'll be looking at £30k + shift pay if you're good at the job. Some of the union-companies are the best to work for as you typically only run one machine, most workers will take a book to read for 8 hours and get £40k+/- after shift pay..

Horses for courses... I personally would be bored out of my mind and I don't know if the money would be enough to keep me in the role
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

My most enjoyable placements were back to back.

The first one was an applications role whereby I would travel the country in a car by myself and install, maintain and train on our products at the end user. Very very fulfilling as within 1 or 2 days you were on a new job. Quick turn around means great job satisfaction for myself.

The second one was conceptual design working with the CEO and co-founder himself; the man who had a great idea while working on the olympus engine from a Concorde. I was working on a new Additive Manufacturing machine and ways of automating the process so it can be left making parts all weekend. This concept is not released by any competitor (at the last time of checking) and some of the solutions to the problems were my doing. The job satisfaction there was also unreal. There was something else I worked on there which was awesome and will hopefully get finished in the next few years; I hope I can work on it again soon
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

I put the T&G timber roof on the new leisure complex extension on a flash hotel in Bournemouth in the 90's right on the cliffs overlooking the sea !!. I got stuck on price work which turned out to be virtually the best paid job I ever had was making £240+ a day (8-4.30) . I was onsite for 6 weeks in the middle of the summer and all I remember wearing is my boots and a pair of shorts , I had the best tan going. You wouldn't get away with most of this now due to H&S.
Lunchtimes I used to walk down to the beach have a quick swim and ogle at all the birds running round topless, What a job !!!!!
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scuff
Your Bike: KTM 690 ER

Post by Scuff »

If you get another contract like that in the middle of summer ,Kingfixer. I'll come do a few days for free :D
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

An engineering company I worked for in the early 80’s, you never knew what you’d be doing that day, it was old fashioned retail engineering.
One day I scraped in the main bearings for a 1920’s car engine we had re-white metalled in house, another I learned how to spray paint, I rebuilt engines, gearboxes, learnt to repair, test and drive big tonka toy earthmoving kit and worked offshore in Scotland. In short it was interesting and a laugh a minute, ultimately it didn’t pay enough for mortgage companies though. :D
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Despite the challenges. My best job is the one i have now. Working for triumph
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

The one I've got now
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Interesting. Now im grown up with bills to pay and a long term relationship, it has to be the one i got now. The company listen to you and have a good structure that everyone plays by regardless of who you are. The job can be boring at times however also very interesting when things get bumpy. Also the work to life balance is amazing and i love the shift life lifestyle due to having a lot of time off so i can do more and dont feel tired all the time. Everytime you go in you always learn something new as people have been there for 20-30 years and have so much knowledge they are always willing to teach.

However the best muck around job AND it was my first proper job (what i mean by that is not cash in hand but paid into my bank account!!) was Sainsburys. Job was shit, literally wouldnt ever go back but i was young, always up for a giggle, hit on anyone with tits including customers and was defo a bad influence on everyone there. I had a sort after job as i had responsibilities and had power over the pricing of items but i was always having a laugh. I dont think a day went by without crying with laughter. Always remember my store manager always picking me tk go to other stores when they where struggling not because i was good but because i distracted other workers in our store and ran and hid away from managers when they wanted me, which was brilliant because i got paid extra for mileage and never did my full time score!!

I used to get punished and put on tils so when customers started off loading their shoping onto my till conveyor i would state that im just shutting and cashing up but jjst sat there , i didnt say that i was joking either i literally made them move to another till . Toilet paper, yes it does unravel when you launch it across the warehouse, races with electric pump trucks doen the alises and many other things!! It was a barrel of laughs, i had a lot of fun!!

However that ended 18 months later when i lost my patience with night shift and took it iut on the store manager and duty manager and well it went on a bit, so i resigned AND got paid more to leave!! BUT BUT BUT the guys still remember me (the old managers ans staff alike) and always have a little chat when im there, i wasnt violent or vulgar so i think that's why they still remember me

Anyway i have done a lot of growing up and i dont ger this sort of laugh anymore at work so glad i did it then! We all have our best job whether that be pay, lifestyle or responsibilities but ill have to say ive had 2 best jobs. Sainsburys and the one i have now but for 2 different reasons.

Thats my story!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

tl:;dr ;)

I got paid to read comics. No one has beaten that yet.