Why was I nervous yesterday!?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Why was I nervous yesterday!?

Post by Rossgo »

I'll have to get friendly with despatch guys and drivers and see if they can smuggle it up to you Blade!!!
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I'll be your Northern Distributor (lol)
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Rossgo wrote:Just got my conditional job offer through - need a medical first to make sure everything is good with me! Also had all the information through like pension, pay.....FREE WEEKLY CHOCOLATE ALLOWANCE is also mentioned in BOLD clearly that is more important than entitled holiday etc etc Image Image
In short I shouldn't of worried I went out for a really long hour walk this afternoon mulling everything over in my head...needn't of worried everything will be peachy!! Image Image Image Image
Less important than the chocolate allowance, but are you happy with the rest of the conditions and entitlements?? I know you were worried that you may take a significant pay cut.

I just realised I got offered a job with them too, years ago back in NZ. When I was getting out of the Air Force I applied for a job as Mechanical fitter at their Wanganui factory. The reason I didn't click earlier was it was the Pedigree Pet Food division. After a couple of interviews I was asked up for a site visit and an employment offer. It was all very great except the front end of the process, all the ingredient mixing and batching areas, the smell was terrible, I couldn't handle it. I also had an offer with Qantas Defence Services in Aussie so no prizes for which one I took!

I'm glad you've got the chocolate division! I don't think a pet food allowance would've had the same excitement to it (lol)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade wrote:I'll be your Northern Distributor (lol)
I feel we shall do very well Blade!!
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

kiwikrasher wrote:...I'm glad you've got the chocolate division! I don't think a pet food allowance would've had the same excitement to it (lol)
Actually I was thinking how useful free Pedigree Chum allowance would be. 8)

As Kk pointed out Rossgo, I do hope that the (less important) terms of the offer are rewarding enough for you to make the new role viable.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Rossgo wrote:Just got my conditional job offer through - need a medical first to make sure everything is good with me! Also had all the information through like pension, pay.....FREE WEEKLY CHOCOLATE ALLOWANCE is also mentioned in BOLD clearly that is more important than entitled holiday etc etc Image Image
In short I shouldn't of worried I went out for a really long hour walk this afternoon mulling everything over in my head...needn't of worried everything will be peachy!! Image Image Image Image
Less important than the chocolate allowance, but are you happy with the rest of the conditions and entitlements?? I know you were worried that you may take a significant pay cut.

I just realised I got offered a job with them too, years ago back in NZ. When I was getting out of the Air Force I applied for a job as Mechanical fitter at their Wanganui factory. The reason I didn't click earlier was it was the Pedigree Pet Food division. After a couple of interviews I was asked up for a site visit and an employment offer. It was all very great except the front end of the process, all the ingredient mixing and batching areas, the smell was terrible, I couldn't handle it. I also had an offer with Qantas Defence Services in Aussie so no prizes for which one I took!

I'm glad you've got the chocolate division! I don't think a pet food allowance would've had the same excitement to it (lol)
That has made me chuckle Kiwi. I'm not surprised you weren't too happy with the smell, I don't think many people would like that smell either!!

You've had an impressive career kiwi, you've clearly worked hard and still do doing those hard shifts plus the travelling on top of that, working for a massive company like Shell the benefits must be there for you and your family for you to sit tight with them

As for the benefits and entitlements that Mars staff get. Personally this is very good. Pension is great plus being my age I should be able to build it up pretty well before retirement, holidays are good to be honest same as what I get now which is great, in fact in every way it will effectively be giving me and my partner, dog and cat a better life!!

Fourth time applying for a job at Mars but first time having the interviews and managed to get a career with them. I feel I have achieved a huge amount as I've known I've wanted to work for them for a few years now and now have the conditional offer.

Personally want to start sooner rather than later but I guess this is up to them when the next medical is and induction date

All in all extremely happy. I'm sure I will pick up the jobs and learn all the machines within time so that's not too much of a concern in my opinion Image
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Rossgo wrote: working for a massive company like Shell the benefits must be there for you and your family for you to sit tight with them
I did work for Shell Rossgo, but that was at the Refinery. As I took a redundancy the company policy is I can never work for them again, unless there is a significant business advantage to do so. I work for ConocoPhillips now Offshore, and while they aren't as big as Shell they are the biggest independent Oil and Gas exploration company in the world. And yes while there is aspects to the job that frustrate me no end, the time off and income will keep me here for a while. The gas field has 5 yrs left in it so unfortunately I won't be here till retirement. They are developing a new project so hopefully I'll move onto that or pick up a similar role with another gas company.

I'm glad you've found something that has you enthusiastic again, it's been evident from you posts that your current employment has been less than satisfying or rewarding for you. Just watch the waistline ]:)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Rossgo wrote: working for a massive company like Shell the benefits must be there for you and your family for you to sit tight with them
I did work for Shell Rossgo, but that was at the Refinery. As I took a redundancy the company policy is I can never work for them again, unless there is a significant business advantage to do so. I work for ConocoPhillips now Offshore, and while they aren't as big as Shell they are the biggest independent Oil and Gas exploration company in the world. And yes while there is aspects to the job that frustrate me no end, the time off and income will keep me here for a while. The gas field has 5 yrs left in it so unfortunately I won't be here till retirement. They are developing a new project so hopefully I'll move onto that or pick up a similar role with another gas company.

I'm glad you've found something that has you enthusiastic again, it's been evident from you posts that your current employment has been less than satisfying or rewarding for you. Just watch the waistline ]:)
I didn't realise Kiwi. I must of seen Shell and thought you were still with them as knew you were off shore. Always love/ s&its me up when I see your pics of the sharks swimming around you while you take a breath outside Image . In fact you and blade do a lot of shift work and travelling for work, it's crazy what we do to be able to pay our bills and provide for our families (although I'm not a father so my dog and cat are my kids at the moment Image)

Yes I totally agree. The past 2.5 years have been taxing on me at my current place of work. Although it got better eg communication between me and my boss but now there's a whole new set of problems and it's ground right into the core of the company.

I made a conscious decision that I have to leave!!

The karting job I had was more about me and to find out if I still had the skill and mindset to take over a brand new team who don't know me and be able to learn new skills in a different challenging environment in a quick space of time. It was leading me to this point. I told Mars this as well in my final interview as I thought I have nothing to loose as after the final interview i was either offered a job or go home!! Image
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Cracking news mate !!

I need to be careful what I say but in terms of work I am really starting to understand why enjoyment is more beneficial than pay in the long run. A pay cut is something you can change things to suit but enjoyment is difficult to find.

I really hope this works out for you and fingers crossed you can keep going onwards and upwards
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Thank you very much Cav. Really appreciate that.

I've been working since 16 year old and had many different jobs, in fact my first job I had 3 different jobs inside the same workplace, managed to be the owners (of the company) handyman/ Gardner at his house, huge house plus garden he was minted, his son was a judo champion with high hopes of going to the Olympics! This is my longest job I've had been here 8 years and I need out for myself.

You have to be happy mate make sure you bare that in mind when progressing through the ranks. Especially with your skills and qualifications you can literally work anywhere in the world
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Cav wrote:Cracking news mate !!

I need to be careful what I say but in terms of work I am really starting to understand why enjoyment is more beneficial than pay in the long run. A pay cut is something you can change things to suit but enjoyment is difficult to find.

I really hope this works out for you and fingers crossed you can keep going onwards and upwards
"Choose a job you love doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life".
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:

"Choose a job you love doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life".
My job sucks ar$e generally, by far the least job satisfaction I've had. The blokes here make it bearable, and in the middle of my 4 and 5 week breaks it's the best job in the world! But if I went back to aircraft work which I loved, I'd pretty much get 1/3 of what I'm on now and have to work 5 days a week. If it was just me I'd be in the Whitsundays dive instructing fit back packers, but I have a mortgage and kids to maintain.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Congrats Ross, really chuffed for you (y)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Thanks Nutz
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

kiwikrasher wrote:
D41 wrote:

My job sucks ar$e generally, by far the least job satisfaction I've had. The blokes here make it bearable, and in the middle of my 4 and 5 week breaks it's the best job in the world! But if I went back to aircraft work which I loved, I'd pretty much get 1/3 of what I'm on now and have to work 5 days a week. If it was just me I'd be in the Whitsundays dive instructing fit back packers, but I have a mortgage and kids to maintain.
This must be very tough on you mate. I read your posts and I couldn't imagine how tough it really is to be honest, long stints at work plus the travelling problems too. Hopefully your mortgage gets paid off soon and when your kids are grown up they will realise just what you had to go through to support them. They will never forget that mate because when you are home you spend a lot of time with them just to see their faces smile. They will respect you and also have a strong work ethic and ultimately do well for themselves as they won't want to let you down either. Hope this comes across I how I wanted it to!
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

We do what we have to do Rossgo, I just glad you've found a role that has you excited and I hope it's everything you hope it to be.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Edit

I have my unconditional job offer and contract in the post so with that in mind I have now resigned from my place of work.

I had a good chat with my boss and he was very complimentary about me and gave me his best wishes. He also said his brother worked in Mars and he said the benefits are brilliant and I clearly fought to get in there because they are so selective!!

I have a fair bit of holiday left so most of my resignation time is when I'm on holiday!! Feeling really good about this all

Friday 24th March 2017
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Congratulations mate.

I know it's never easy to leave a place you've worked at for a while and it's always daunting starting a new job, but you've made the right choice. You're served your time with your current employer and Mars have seen your potential.

Enjoy this new chapter in your life.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Good work Rossgo (y) great to have a bit of a break in between jobs to reset and start afresh.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

The result you wanted, well done Rossgo. I hope you will feel more fulfilled with your new employer.
Don't forget, if they internally transfer you to the pet food division at any time I'll have first dibs on the Pedigree Chum entitlement please mate. ;)