One step closer

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: One step closer

Post by Cav »

I'm quite open to the prospect of trying some of your roads to be fair - I've fallen out of love with road riding so maybe fresh scenery will help renew that !! :)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky finds some absolutely cracking roads Cav. I'm sure he will relight your fire for road riding again!
Cav

Post by Cav »

Good news everyone!

...we have a mortgage in principle :D Another step closer
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Have you looked at one with the flexibility to over pay Cav?

It makes huge saving's on interest (y) and you can pay as little or much as you can afford each month.

We overpaid on our current property to get mortgage free and even now although we need a small mortgage to move house we have a plan to be mortgage free again in 2 years ideally and 3 years max depending on motorcycle purchases (happy)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Nice one Cav
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Good news!! That's a weight off my mind.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

We'll done Cav!
Very good point Blade brought up, we were mortgage free 7yrs ahead of time due to overpaying. Well worth thinking of.
Cav

Post by Cav »

This is a 2 year fixed deal. We're not fussed about over payment mainly because we just want to survive. When we remortgage we will specify a mortgage with the potential to overpay - we should hopefully be able to chop 5+ years off the mortgage if we have over estimated costs
Blade

Post by Blade »

Depending on your interest rate Cav just put whatever extra you can each month into an ISA or other investment. That way you have the cash for emergencies but at the end of the 2 years can overpay any savings you have managed to put together and it makes a huge difference to the term of your mortgage.

We have a 2 year fixed which we can over pay by 10% but as the interest is only 1.09% we save the money and get a better return on it and then over pay a big lump at the end of 2 years.

You will be surprised at how much you can put away if you put your mind to it. Look after the penny's and the pounds will look after themselves is a good saying.

If your not paying someone interest for lending money you have more actual wealth. Not wrong science, it's just about being disciplined and following a plan. We started with nothing and had some debt but work hard and you can make big in roads in to your mortgage and property investment that will reward with huge dividends.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote: but as the interest is only 1.09% .
Are you for real???????? mine's 3.99% and thats a super deal because I've borrowed so much (don't get divorced (sweat) ) and I'm fixed for 3 years!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Yeah I m sure mate (lol) you know I like my deals (happy)

It's actually a ripe off tbh (blush) and a huge 58% hike in rate over my previous mortgage which was 0.69% for years and years.

I had a life time tracker which was 0.19% above the Bank of England Base rate and only had a £99 application fee. Granted I fell on my feet with that one (lol) but we make our own luck ;)
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:Yeah I m sure mate (lol) you know I like my deals (happy)

It's actually a ripe off tbh (blush) and a huge 58% hike in rate over my previous mortgage which was 0.69% for years and years.

I had a life time tracker which was 0.19% above the Bank of England Base rate and only had a £99 application fee. Granted I fell on my feet with that one (lol) but we make our own luck ;)
I'm on pretty much the lowest rate you can get in Australia, others are paying closer to 5-6% depending on type of mortgage.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I had my place on 0% interest-only for three years....it gets you into a home and gives you time to 'establish' yourself a bit. Then you re-fi and get a more "normal" rate....think it was around 3.75%???

The 0% thing basically means you're renting with an option to buy. Bit of a scam in some regards, but it worked for us on other levels.....tax breaks, etc.
Blade

Post by Blade »

kiwikrasher wrote:

I'm on pretty much the lowest rate you can get in Australia, others are paying closer to 5-6% depending on type of mortgage.
I hope you have good rates for savers then.

What's your inflation rate ?
Blade

Post by Blade »

kiwikrasher wrote:

Hope you get a good rate of savings then.

What's your inflation at ?
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Nup. I hunted around for the kids as we had been putting a monthly amount aside each month for them, so when we split I opened them accounts and put it all in there and we both still contribute to them. Even regular deposits no withdrawls the best rate I could get was 2.3%

My mortgage on the residential house has an offset, so any cash lives in there and that amount is taken off the principle before interest is calculated. So I'm affectively getting 4% on my savings.

And to capitalise on that I live off my credit card so my wages stay in the offset for as long as possible then pay the full balance of the card so I don't accuse any interest. Never paid a cent of interest on an credit card in my life. It's an effective strategy and knocks extra of the principle without you even trying as your payment is calculated on you full debt + interest but any interest you offset ends up coming of the principle.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Inflation is 1.5% and we have been getting rate cuts for last 3 yrs. I was paying 8% at one stage.
Blade

Post by Blade »

2.3 % savings with 1.5% inflation is good.

We are negative saving values at the moment.

2.5% inflation and cash isa pay less than 1% on savings. Your better spending than saving in the UK
Cav

Post by Cav »

It's taken over 5 months but Friday saw our exchange of contracts go through successfully... completion in 11 days (Y)

It's a long time coming now but we are so happy. Unfortunately, seeing the best part of £30k leave our account was not so happy! haha
Blade

Post by Blade »

Housing buying is never cheap or easy Cav but a good investment all the same.

Hope things go well for you both and you settle into your new home quickly.