Amtico Flooring

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Amtico Flooring

Post by Blade »

Thinking of fitting Amtico Flooring downstairs in our new home.

Anyone got any experience of it as I ve never heard of it before but being billed as very good by sale staff, but is it worth the money over other options ?

Would be great to hear people's opinion if they have it installed or any experience of it.

Cheers for any info / help that can be offered.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Re: Amtico Flooring

Post by kingfixer »

Hi Blade
We have used tons of this at work on commercial projects, the stuff is virtually indestructible and quite easy to lay if you what you are doing.
Like you say not the cheapest but you get what you pay for, there are quite a few companies flog a similar product trying to pitch in on their market I think a company called Carndean do a good choice as well might be spelt with a K not sure.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers Mick. Yeah I've heard of karndean and think that's a similar product and a little cheaper I believe which may be another option.

Tbh honest it seems the fitting costs are what ramp the overall cost up. The product itself is 32 Sq metre but fitting by an official Amtico installer which is needed for the guarantee is also 32 Sq metre.

Reading some forums if you can find a free Lance installer or get it done as a foreigner installation costs can be halved.

Do you rate the quality then mate. With 2 young boys we need something durable and hard wearing and don't fancy carpets or laminate in the family areas downstairs.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and although I don't like the price I wouldn't want to install something else and need to replace it if not up to the job as that's a false economy long term imo.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

If your handy with tools (which i believe you are) you could do it yourself. I've fitted similar and a few cheaper in the past and its not hard. All you really need is a saw (chop saw is best) , a decent underfloor and a little research and planning.

Our lounge area is 90 sqm which means that fitter would have cost virtually £3k. I fitted the flooring for ours in a weekend. Mucho savings.
Blade

Post by Blade »

100% agree Cookie only problem is I have 5k of credit with the builder for flooring and I think, but need to check I may have to use their supplier / fitter. I believe the fitting cost also includes laying a screed and all the adhesives etc but still expensive I agree.

I'm pretty sure I can spend more than 5k and pay the difference but I may be tied in to having what there supplier offers if I want to utilise my 5k credit that I negotiated as part of the house purchase.
Last edited by Blade on 22 Oct 2016, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Which flooring did you use Cookie ?

Was it a LVT like amtico, karndean etc...?

Other thing is I need the flooring installed before I move in and I don't think I would be allowed on there site to do DIY work for insurance reasons.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

It's ideal for kids because as I said it's virtually indestructible, depending on what type of floor you are laying on ?? It will potentially need latexing/screeding or ply over boarding then stick it down . Just have plenty of Stanley knife blades ready !!
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

What type of base are you going over....wood, concrete???

A scree suggests a 'floating' floor...can't see it any other way, TBH....but you might want to have a concrete floor 'sealed' beforehand, and have a moisture check done on the slab, if there is one, and if it's a straight glue-down.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers Mick appreciate the comments mate.

I'm not sure D tbh. I'll find out but at a guess I think it's solid concrete floor. Was told it takes a 1 day per mm of thickness for it to dry out if it is concrete and typically 4 inch thick so circa 100 days to dry out does that sound right.
D41

Post by D41 »

Yep, both figures sound spot on.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Blade wrote:Which flooring did you use Cookie ?

Was it a LVT like amtico, karndean etc...?

Other thing is I need the flooring installed before I move in and I don't think I would be allowed on there site to do DIY work for insurance reasons.
My bad - i didn't realise you were looking at vinyl type floors. Mine are commercial grade wood flooring. I have to say I've never fitted something like karndean. Its nice - my parents have it, but can you fit it direct to concrete or do you need a screed or other layer underneath?
Blade

Post by Blade »

I believe on concrete you screed first and that is included in the fitting costs quoted above.

Regards wood flooring. I've laid plenty of that in my last few houses and agree very easy to install and tbh this amtico / karndean probably is. Its just I cant get in before we move in and as I say I negotiated some credit towards flooring from the builder which I need to use.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I'm undecided, can we have pole?
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D41

Post by D41 »

Monty wrote:I'm undecided, can we have pole?
(d) ?????