The camera thread....

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

The camera thread....

Post by C00kiemonster »

Thread intended for discussion of all things camera - excellent pictures you've taken, issues, camera and general camera chit chat..... :)
C00kiemonster

Re: The camera thread....

Post by C00kiemonster »

kiwikrasher wrote:I haven't tried star trails yet... don't know if I can be bothered with all the stacking and post editing required. I've been doing waterfalls at daytime and just balancing the ND filter strength with the max 8 sec exposure of the P520.

I'll have a read up on the 350D.. what lens have you got for it?
I've got the kit lense that came with it - 18-55mm Canon. I've also got a Tamron EF 75-300mm for racetrack action etc. It's done me well - i'm very amateur however.

We have brilliant night skies here in the middle of nowhere so i'm starting to get to grips with photographing the milky way - not so bothered about stacking..
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

One of the favourites I've taken. On the Nikon P520, no post edit. Total fluke to be honest of a foggy morning down on the local river. The other 30-40 shots were crap!
IMG_8542.JPG
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

I've taken the new camera for a walk this afternoon to have a play (we were looking after a friends dog today). Boy have cameras (especially focus) come on.. I'm not that good at taking pictures and it does help a lot.

Its a tremendous camera for price and size.
Attachments
DSC00191.JPG
DSC00123.JPG
DSC00107.JPG
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Those photos are pin sharp and have great depth.

I haven't bought a new camera for about 6-7 years now. these things improve so rapidly.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Nice shots , my only criticism is the dog shot the focus would have been better on his/her eyes rather than the nose .

from Cadwell at the weekend
_AB_0890.jpg
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

So if I'm looking to move up from taking snaps with my phone, what do people recommend?

I don't want anything too expensive or heavy. I need something easy to use but a camera that won't bore me once I've got the basics sorted.

Nothing special in terms of what I'm shooting. I do like taking land scape and scenery photos.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ330 Digital Camera about 450 quid but has a great range and should be good for everything you need .
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Kwacky wrote:So if I'm looking to move up from taking snaps with my phone, what do people recommend?

I don't want anything too expensive or heavy. I need something easy to use but a camera that won't bore me once I've got the basics sorted.

Nothing special in terms of what I'm shooting. I do like taking land scape and scenery photos.
only my opinion, I'd go for a bridging camera given your requirements. Very versatile and a lot of DSLR features, but lighter, more compact and no lenses to change out. As with everything, there is a compromise. The aperture is limited especially at zoom, some won't do bulb or long exposure, and you are stuck with the one lens. But it'll do a lot for the price. I went to a bridging camera from a DSLR system camera, which is a backwards step technically, but I find I use it more now because it's easier to pick up and go and less fuss. I can still do macro with an lens attachment I have, and have had some daytime success with ND filters doing up to it's maximum 8 sec exposure. Just my 2 cents worth (2p I guess I should say!)

http://www.techradar.com/news/photograp ... ra-1259503
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Jack wrote:Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ330 Digital Camera about 450 quid but has a great range and should be good for everything you need .
I started typing up my reply and came back to it an hour later so didn't see this. But Jacks suggestion is spot on from what I can see (and I wouldn't expect anything else from a Pro!) and is pretty much what I suggested, but wasn't listed in that link for some reason? I didn't specify a model as I don't have enough experience or knowledge of the options. It actually has a great maximum aperture through its whole zoom range which something my older nikon P520 lacks and is my biggest frustration with the camera.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The Nikon D3300 was recommended to me. Is that not any good?
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Entirely capable entry level DSLR, and I have a bias forward Nikons for no logical reason other than my first SLR camera was one (back in film days).

But it's a system camera. So to get the versatility you would get from the camera Jack recommended or similar from the D3300 you'd have to spend a fair bit on lenses. And either carry them all with you or have a good idea of the shots you wanted and take the lens to suit.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Here's a couple of shots I've got with a AU$500 Nikon P520 bridging camera. The macro was with a $80 lens attachment and the two long exposures with a Chinese $20 variable ND filter (utter crap bit of kit tbh)
IMG_9833.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_9846.JPG
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Thanks.

I've not heard of bridging cameras before. I'll have to do some research.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

A bridge or bridging camera bridges the gap between a compact camera with half a dozen shooting modes and a DSLR which offers full control , generally you wont need any extra lenses though lens attachments for macro and super telephoto photography are available for some models , I think Frankie might use one but not 100% sure on that . Storage is on an SD card usually which can be plugged straight into most laptops .
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

here's one I took with my macro lens on Sunday

Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Jack wrote:A bridge or bridging camera bridges the gap between a compact camera with half a dozen shooting modes and a DSLR which offers full control , generally you wont need any extra lenses though lens attachments for macro and super telephoto photography are available for some models , I think Frankie might use one but not 100% sure on that . Storage is on an SD card usually which can be plugged straight into most laptops .
No mate, my camera's are small as I use four third camera, the are full on DSLR camera's, I started that way some years back, I did try a mates Canon full frame DSLR with some massive lenses for a days nature shoot, but to be honest I prefer mine. I suppose the more you use it the better acquainted you get.

On Sunday I was using my trusty little Lumix G with with a 14-42 lens for my HD shots, and my GH4 with 100-400 lens and I was also trying the small 25 on the same body. Its the first time I have use that lens, I was impressed with it. I think I need to be a little closer to the subject for it to work to its best. Trouble is I would have got in the way of you and Simon... being a blow in I did not want to do that :D

I prefer having total control of my shots, I dont think I could go back to a auto camera, I can achieve much better shots when I am in control, plus I love experimenting.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm going to wait for the post Christmas sales.

Any decent beginner tutorials to recommend?
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

you'll find a million and one general photography tutorials online on sites such as Petapixel , FStoppers etc , you may be better off looking for one specific to the camera you end up getting .