CCTV

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

CCTV

Post by Kwacky »

Had a neighbour speak with me last night when I got home. By all accounts in the early hours of Wednesday morning 3 blokes were clocked walking our road trying all of the car doors. The then came into my front garden and took a look at the bike. I presume the fact that the bike is on a ground anchor and that the cover is chained at both ends put them off. The cover wasn't disturbed and when I switched the alarm off in the morning it didn't sound to let me know it had been trigged.

So I'm after some decent CCTV to cover the front of the house, just in case they come back or anyone else takes a look at the bike. it'll need to be good enough to get face details. I've already got a security light.

Any recommendations?
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: CCTV

Post by Blade »

Not sure if worth it tbh. Good systems are expensive and won't put a determined thief off.

May deter a casual thief but easily defeated when the thieving chav scum has his hoodie up.

What about a gate with a decent lock. What ever you can do to make it difficult or slow them down would be better than filming a load of hoodies imo.
Blade

Post by Blade »

If you are interested these are a highly recommended company on the Porsche forums.

https://www.cctv42.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure of your budget and there not cheap but you get what you pay for and some very good info on there if nothing else.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Blade wrote:
What about a gate with a decent lock. What ever you can do to make it difficult or slow them down would be better than filming a load of hoodies imo.
A gate is what I would prefer. However, I would need my neighbour's permission as the gate would have to attach to his wall on his side of the joint path. Sadly he's a cock.

He bought the house years ago but has never lived in it. He rents it out to a couple, who are really nice. We all agreed that the tree at the end of our garden needs to go. I said I would pay the tree surgeon to remove it. I sent a letter to the owner telling what was happening and he objected, saying that the tree adds character.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I would just put it up mate. He would never know and even if he did he wouldn't be able to take it down without alot of fuzz and expense with solicitors getting involved which he probably wouldn't be arsed to do.

Its very easy for him to say no if you ask. Much more hassle for him to get it removed.

If it's your best option I would just do it and protect your propoerty.

Sometimes asking for forgiveness is better than asking for approval.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Blade wrote:
Sometimes asking for forgiveness is better than asking for approval.
:D

Fair enough.

But he would know, his old man comes round once a month to inspect the place. His old man is a really nice bloke. Shame his son is a twat.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Maybe have a quiet word with his old man off the record. Explain your concerns and how making the neighbourhood safer is better for everyone. Worth a shot.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Good idea.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Would it be possible to mount a gate post on your property so you don't have to attach to your neighbours wall ? if he continues to be a arse after having a friendly word it maybe another way round the problem.

Wouldnt take up more than a few inches. Maybe get some gate suppliers in to quote and see what ideas they have. I reckon they will have come up against the same issue before and have engineered a solution.

A strong locked gate, a security light, your ground anchor and chain plus some discreet warning signs stating the bike is alarmed should put all but the most determined thief off imo.

They want to be hidden from view and act quickly. The above would prevent that from happening and better than watching a film the morning after watching the hooded wankers load your bike into a van.
Blade

Post by Blade »

On a side RANT not enough is done by the authorites to deter or prevent theft. I think it's almost viewed as acceptable and a victimless crime as people have insurance (swear) (swear) (swear)

We work hard, save our money to treat ourselves to rewards and scum bags think they can live off benefits and steal from others. I would bloody chop there hands off in the town square. Barbaric but effective. Try nicking a bike with no hands dickhead (finger)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The problem is that his property is to my left as you leave the house. If I put the gate post on my side, the gate will swing towards my house and block the bike in where it's parked. The front area outside the house isn't that large. The gate post needs to be on his wall and swing towards his garden so that I can get the bike out.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I meant mount a post next to his wall it would only take up a few inches. Probably only reduce your opening slightly and still be enough to get the bike out easily. If your not touching his wall and on your property what can he say.

It gives you what you want without mounting of his wall. Get suppliers into quote they will know what to do.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Alternatively let the gate swing outwards. There is loads of ways to overcome the issue.

Good luck and hope the bike stays safe.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I don't think you're allowed to have a gate swing out on to the pavement, but I could be wrong.

The gap between the two walls is 3 foot, so sadly I've not got much room to play with.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Sliding gate should work in that situation Kwacky.

Or....

Electric fence and pet shark with friggin' lazer beams!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Another option could be a sunken security post which I could pull up at night to restrict the room. As the gap between the walls is so close a post would prevent them from being able to take the bike out.
Blade

Post by Blade »

A post would only take out a few inches mate.

Other method is swing out. You might not be allowed a gate that swings out, but who enforces these rules ?????? Answer is nobody they rely on you obeying there bullshit. And I've seen plenty that do.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:Another option could be a sunken security post which I could pull up at night to restrict the room. As the gap between the walls is so close a post would prevent them from being able to take the bike out.
I did the same. If you go this route go stainless steel as painted posts scratch and look untidy quickly

Blade

Post by Blade »

If you do go the post route I can give you a good recommendation.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Thieving scrotes :(

What about two removable posts and a metal barrier that attaches to them? You could still have an accessible path (as the wall would run across the left of your path to the door) and then the bikes are behind a small removable wall? Bit of a faff in the morning, but easily removable when you don't need them.