What are you doing today ??

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: What are you doing today ??

Post by Cav »

kiwikrasher wrote:We had a massive tropical storm roll over us today, and I saw very close up lightning hit the ocean for the first time in my life, about 40-50m off the platform. The guy with me and myself absolutely crapped ourselves. It produced a cloud of steam. Fooking loud and bright that close up, I'm sure it aged me 10 yrs.
Glad you're alright though.

My Wife and I were watching a lightning storm out of our old bedroom window when one struck a house about half a mile away. The flash was so intense we were both temporarily blinded and marginally deaf from the bang too.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

kiwikrasher wrote:We had a massive tropical storm roll over us today, and I saw very close up lightning hit the ocean for the first time in my life, about 40-50m off the platform. The guy with me and myself absolutely crapped ourselves. It produced a cloud of steam. Fooking loud and bright that close up, I'm sure it aged me 10 yrs.
WOW (whew)

The more you think about it, the luckier it seems you were..: Presumably as the water surface would all be equidistant from the origin of the lightning bolt, and the platform stands well proud from that surface, the platform itself would actually have been the more probable target.?? :S

Fwiw that sounds to me like another bullet dodged Kiwi, nice one mate. (clap)
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Yeah I was surprised about that point too St Marks. We did have a number of hits to the platform but it was after the one that I saw and they’d called all personnel inside.

I’ve got some pretty amazing shots of lightning out here from a few years ago taken by an infield support vessel. I’ll see if I can find them.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

A1C00FE0-2D1D-4BF9-88AB-B1ED40CB48E7.jpeg
D4C6132F-B647-436C-9EF0-A2C3C14A72CC.jpeg
Cav

Post by Cav »

Looking at 7 bedroom houses, preferably with an annex/separate living. Would be a house for our household and the in-laws.

Just need 0.75-1.4mil
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Living with the inlaws? No thanks :D
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Lolz! Yep.... I'd think long and hard before taking the plunge on that one.
Cav

Post by Cav »

My In-Laws were basically my parents for the last 7 years, they're fantastic and I love them to bits. I lived with them for 3 years too and when they're older, my Wife will be their carers. We also have my autistic brother-in-law living with us when the in-laws pass.

I'm sorry for those of you who don't have this relationship with your in-laws.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I loved my in-laws dearly.

There's no way I would have lived with them though.
D41

Post by D41 »

I think if you're going to make a life with someone.... girlfriend, spouse, partner or whatever, then you need your own place to call home.....not somewhere that someone else calls home.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Today I returned 2 big bags of unopened uniform to First and had a good chat with some of my former colleagues...
Apparently some of the new recruits are very special cases, from the stories one in particular is pretty aggressive with everyone and refuses to wear the uniform but still expects free travel. If he had done to me what he did to one of the female drivers he would have been walking. Shouting, swearing and banging on the cab screen is not acceptable and HIGHLY unprofessional!

And I have been called weird for caring about stuff like that.

Got to go back tomorrow because I forgot my DriveGreen fob, might meet this new driver, what fun that will be (devil)

Ah well, First day of HGV 1 training on Monday, now that, I am looking forward to (party)
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Filling in mountains of paperwork and coming back to the UK.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

C00kiemonster wrote:Filling in mountains of paperwork and coming back to the UK.
Again.!!
I may be loosing track, but I thought you'd only just gone home a few weeks ago mate.?
D41

Post by D41 »

Doing nothing else today except freezing my a$$ off.

BRRRR-RR-R!!!
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

StMarks wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:Filling in mountains of paperwork and coming back to the UK.
Again.!!
I may be loosing track, but I thought you'd only just gone home a few weeks ago mate.?
I know.... 10 day flit to France and back. Check house, fill 2 cars with more crap and some French admin. Long day today, but did well, 650 miles in 12 hours.

I need a beer (groupdrink)
Cav

Post by Cav »

Nice distance covered. Do you swap drivers? I.e. the car only stops when you need a wee, rest while the other drives?
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:I think if you're going to make a life with someone.... girlfriend, spouse, partner or whatever, then you need your own place to call home.....not somewhere that someone else calls home.
Everyone has there own ideas and outlook. Doesn’t mean just because someone else’s doesn’t fit yours that theirs are wrong or invalid.

In the majority of dynamics, yeah in-laws aren’t your first choice of house partner. And everyone is entitled to their opinion on what they would do in that situation.

But that doesn’t make Cav’s choices wrong. They are right for him and knowing him they would have been discussed and deliberated to some great length with those involved.

Plenty of cultures embrace the extended family collective living, including Māoris, and I was exposed to that dynamic a lot growning up in NZ.

He specifically said ideally an self contained area or annex for the in-laws. It’s just like having neighbours you actually like.

And the concept of someone willing to take on care responsibilities for your ASD child when you pass is something you could not even comprehend the weight of unless you are a parent of a special needs child.

For the record I would’ve had my exes mum live with us in a heartbeat. She is one of the most kindest and caring people I know. Unfortunately her husband (ex FIL) was a struggle just to have as a tenant in my rental.

Good luck to you Cav.
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Cav wrote:Nice distance covered. Do you swap drivers? I.e. the car only stops when you need a wee, rest while the other drives?
I drive usually. Mrs C does struggle with driving distance.

This time we came back in 2 cars so she had to follow :D
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

kiwikrasher wrote:
D41 wrote:I think if you're going to make a life with someone.... girlfriend, spouse, partner or whatever, then you need your own place to call home.....not somewhere that someone else calls home.
Everyone has there own ideas and outlook. Doesn’t mean just because someone else’s doesn’t fit yours that theirs are wrong or invalid.

In the majority of dynamics, yeah in-laws aren’t your first choice of house partner. And everyone is entitled to their opinion on what they would do in that situation.

But that doesn’t make Cav’s choices wrong. They are right for him and knowing him they would have been discussed and deliberated to some great length with those involved.

Plenty of cultures embrace the extended family collective living, including Māoris, and I was exposed to that dynamic a lot growning up in NZ.

He specifically said ideally an self contained area or annex for the in-laws. It’s just like having neighbours you actually like.

And the concept of someone willing to take on care responsibilities for your ASD child when you pass is something you could not even comprehend the weight of unless you are a parent of a special needs child.

For the record I would’ve had my exes mum live with us in a heartbeat. She is one of the most kindest and caring people I know. Unfortunately her husband (ex FIL) was a struggle just to have as a tenant in my rental.

Good luck to you Cav.
(clap)
Cav

Post by Cav »

kiwikrasher wrote:

Good luck to you Cav.
Thank you for understanding it mate, I was going to remind someone that they live in a bedsit with drunks yet claims that you should only ever live by yourself. Logic defies my comprehension.