getting that fix

The news and your views about biking
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

getting that fix

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

(shocked) no not drugs (shocked)

my friend, with his newish motorbike, won't risk salt and road grim so the winter for him means not riding effectively

but me, i get agitated and claustrophobic being stuck in, now retired so no commute, so i need that fix of a ride not withstanding that it is winter

it is a nuisance cleaning bikes and keeping the brakes free but there's that feeling of relaxation to bumble out for a little blast even if it is cold, wet and miserable

do you hibernate are you a year round biker?
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Re: getting that fix

Post by Monty »

I ride more in the summer than the winter, but I only do around 3000 miles a year these days. I can go a few months without touching my bike, but not through choice. I'd be out on it every day if I had the time, and the weather. It rains a lot up here in sunny Buxton and I've got 4 young kids and an overstretched wife!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

ACF50 is your friend.

Too many bikers seem to think that road salt is only going to damage your bike for a few short weeks in winter. It does wash away but it takes a while for all of it to disappear. Rust probably spreads quicker when it's warmer. Today is cold and dry so there's no reason no to get out.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Monty wrote: I've got 4 young kids and an overstretched wife!
You could have worded that to read slightly better (blush)
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Kwacky wrote:ACF50 is your friend.

Too many bikers seem to think that road salt is only going to damage your bike for a few short weeks in winter. It does wash away but it takes a while for all of it to disappear. Rust probably spreads quicker when it's warmer. Today is cold and dry so there's no reason no to get out.
I thought exactly that so got her out today, glad I did too as traffic was terrible.

as for the OP Sir Thingy I ride when I feel like it, if I fancy a ride ill go, regardless of weather, although sometimes I may fancy a ride and look at a bike Ive just cleaned and think.....not today, cant be bothered to re wash it haha
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Monty

Post by Monty »

Kwacky wrote:
Monty wrote: I've got 4 young kids and an overstretched wife!
You could have worded that to read slightly better (blush)
How? I thought that was quite funny. (for me)
Monty™© MCMLXXII
sir thomas blanchard
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

today for example, i'm just going to have to get out for a ride even though it is dull and overcast, thank goodness for heated grips.

i don't expect the lanes that i use will have much traffic this time of day except for the farm stuff that leaves mud everywhere

and at least the cafes won't have too many people in i wouldn't have thought. oh and horse riders will be about so can't go mad.

actually it's not just winter, i'd be stuck if i couldn't go for a bike ride, cars aren't the same they just don't have the thrill factor. (lol)
Monty

Post by Monty »

My favourite time to ride in the Peaks is mid-week in the summer after 7pm. The tarmac is warm, the kids are in bed, as are the coppers and the quarry lorries and caravans are off the road.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Since my winter is drier and warmer than your summer a lot of the time, I’m an all year rider. But I don’t get out that often as most here know, I’m a fly in fly out worker and spent 3 week stints away, and when i’m back I have full custody of my kids bar one weekend. So my rides are limited to quick 1-2 hr mid week blasts if I find the time or a two up tour ride with the girlfriend in our kid free weekend.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I used to commute year round and cleaning was just not done until all the salt was gone from the roads. If it ever did get a mid-winter clean it was always a full day cleaning getting everywhere I possible could and ensuring I had a can of ACF50, chain lube, polish and wax with me. I wouldn't clean it if I didn't have the protectants ready to reapply.

NOw I just don't use my bike.. it's had 14 months no use :(
Cav

Post by Cav »

As for my fix.. minimoto
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Cav wrote:As for my fix.. minimoto
you sure thats not whast buggering your knee up? squeezing yourself on one of them? I dont fit on a minimoto at all far too fat haha, would love to give pit bike racing a go though
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Cav

Post by Cav »

Well to be fair, I haven't done it since about Feb and have only done it a handful of times. It hurts my ankles more than anything!

I do want to have a go on a pit bike!! should be much more comfortable and a little more skill required
sir thomas blanchard

sorry about your knee cav

just come back, fantastic, farm smells and wood smoke, sought out a twisty route and kept the revs up to make the exhaust buzz, what a big kid i am.

only down side was that some old bag pushed in front at the benson cafe grr. just going out to wash the bike down :(
Last edited by sir thomas blanchard on 05 Dec 2017, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Cav wrote:Well to be fair, I haven't done it since about Feb and have only done it a handful of times. It hurts my ankles more than anything!

I do want to have a go on a pit bike!! should be much more comfortable and a little more skill required
Tankslap day out?? find a kart track that hires out pit bikes, all go crazy? racers (Pitty/Matty Laws etc) are either banned or have to carry a pillion for parity :P
Cav

Post by Cav »

Cavetroll87 wrote:
Cav wrote:Well to be fair, I haven't done it since about Feb and have only done it a handful of times. It hurts my ankles more than anything!

Tankslap day out?? find a kart track that hires out pit bikes, all go crazy? racers (Pitty/Matty Laws etc) are either banned or have to carry a pillion for parity :P
I'll go with that rule about the racers ;)

Would be pretty cool in fairness but I have literally no money right now (living off my credit card) so will have to wait a couple of months haha
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

sir thomas blanchard wrote:
only down side was that some old bag pushed in front at the benson cafe grr. just going out to wash the bike down :(
Did you manage to get your cake of choice though?
sir thomas blanchard

Croissant yes - i hate these 'garden centre' type places that are a magnet for elderly bods (like me), she knew that she pushed in but pretended not to.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You should have pushed her over then offered to help pick her up, whilst saying in a very loud voice "are you ok, did you have a fall? Oh dear".
sir thomas blanchard

nah - they would have ganged up and beat me down, she was amongst friends,

there was a moment of light relief though when two dogs went for each other,

why would you bring a dog into a cafe when you know it doesn't like other dogs?

the owners of the attacked dog were mortified and left.