does a ride have to have a purpose?

The news and your views about biking
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

Re: does a ride have to have a purpose?

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

i quite like having a purpose, a distant objective or simply a trip into the nearby city to get something;

in the summer the purpose can be just to explore, somewhere that i've heard about or a place i haven't seen

my friend in norfolk is interested in ww2 airfields but that doesn't grab me, i prefer museums or bike dealers.
Tuffers
Your Bike: Ducati Scrambler & Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory

Post by Tuffers »

sir thomas blanchard wrote:well thanks for those comments.

i never really got on with sat nav, i think mainly because i don't have an ear piece.

if i had sat nav i might just go wherever that looks interesting and pleasant took me then use the get home function but i don't.

what i tend to do now is roughly plan something using google maps with streetview to check landnarks where there are important junctions

i look for a cafe at the furthest point for a bit of a rest break and sense of destination.

the route itself is something i plan, too narrow then it can be a pain with on coming vehicles, too busy a road then less pleasure to ride on

so a mix of 'a' and 'b' roads - avoiding congestion in the form of towns or village that i know to be a bottleneck

one thing that i have been doing recently is picking a road, like the a44 for example and following it from one end to the other

in that case i started in oxford and ended up in aberystwyth stopping at the Bringsty Cafe and Evesham both ways.

me and my friend have the same model yamaha, photo taken at the bringsey cafe
I live about 2 miles from Bringsty Cafe (y). My neighbour Jackie runs it. You might have met my Mrs who works the odd shift in there. She's a blonde bimbo :D

Just a heads up, the present occupant of the cafe is terminating her lease in February 2018. The people who run the antique place next door own the cafe, so will be looking for someone else to take it over, it may be closed for a while.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I didn't realise you were out that way Tuffers
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

the mother and daughter/s? that run the place are nice, shame they are going. They wanted to call the cafe 'Route 44' but the antiques people below, at the front, wouldn't have it for some reason, rather odd as they seem OK to talk to but then, as pointed out previously i think, they do own the place.
Tuffers
Your Bike: Ducati Scrambler & Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory

Post by Tuffers »

Kwacky wrote:I didn't realise you were out that way Tuffers
Too far to go and watch Blues now, fortunately :D. It's like Brands Hatch round here on a sunny day (rock)
Ash
Your Bike: S1000R

Post by Ash »

There has to be a tea / coffee stop as a destination, although I have a loop around the local area that I use to get rid of "stupid manager" stress from work, I live up near junction 11 on the M42 and have some good roads roundabout and mostly head over to Lincolnshire, Chris Walkers place does good coffee and cake, I must try and get down the Fosse way into the Cotswolds next year.