Cold weather riding blogs

The news and your views about biking
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Cold weather riding blogs

Post by T.C. »

Given that the cold(er) weather is fast aproaching, thought you might be interested in a couple of blogs I have done.

They are in 2 parts, 1st part deals with the rider and the 2nd with the actual riding in cold weather.

It is only intended as a general interest blog, but hope you find it interesting none the less

https://www.hudgellsolicitors.co.uk/new ... ng-part-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.hudgellsolicitors.co.uk/new ... ng-part-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Cold weather riding blogs

Post by Kwacky »

Regarding kit I've found that having your jacket warmed on a radiator before you go out makes a massive difference. The back protector retains heat for several miles which can mean making it to your destination without getting too cold.

Low sun is a PITA at this time of the year. I've got my spotlights on to try and help the cagers see me.

It doesn't always work though :(
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I found heated grips were a god send when I was commuting all year round, I was glad that when I was doing it I wasn't ever commuting during rush hour as mainly started work at 6am so managed to avoid most cagers and didn't have to deal with the low sun as was fully dark which I genuinely think was better
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

Kwacky wrote:
Low sun is a PITA at this time of the year. I've got my spotlights on to try and help the cagers see me.

It doesn't always work though :(
Don't forget that having headlights or spot lights on when the sun is low, it creates what is called the "Halo" affect which is why drivers still don't see you, or more to the point it affects their ability to judge speed and distance.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I don't think that was the issue here http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

Kwacky wrote:I don't think that was the issue here http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Probably not, but I was just making the point that many SMIDSY crashes are not always because they didn't see you, sometimes the use of headlights just contributes to making bikes invisible. The driver sees you but they are unable to judge speed and distance.

I have 2 cases on the go at the moment caused exactly by that phenomenon. :(
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Good write ups there buddy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk