New lid time

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: New lid time

Post by Kwacky »

New lid has arrived. The box is a bit bashed so I've asked them if the lid is ok. There's no signs of damage but I want to check before I wear it.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

what one did you got for mate? had a look through to see if I missed it but couldn't see , maybe I'm just being stupid in which case apologies haha
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

HJC IS-17 in white/red/black
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Shame it arrived like that. How are you getting it checked?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They've told me it's fine, the shell would deform if there was any damage. I can replace it if I want to though. I've checked it over and I'm happy to keep out. I'll take the padding out later and give it another look.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's comfortable enough. A little bit tight on the forehead and the sides by the ears but I expect that from a new lid. It's not uncomfortable.

The vents seem to work really well, there's a good breeze across the top of your head.

It's a bit field of view, which I need for commuting.

I'm not too sure about the sun visor - it seems light. I'll find out when I need to use it. Nice one touch action to get it to pop back up but dropping it down it a bit weird as you use a catch on the top of the lid. That feels a bit cheap as you drag it forward to drop the sun visor down. I'm hoping it is robust as I don't want that to fail.

Noise isn't bad. The chinbar is pointed so that reduces some of the noise and the lid isn't as wide as the Nolan so there's a reduction in wind buffering noise.

I was hoping that the visors from my other HJC lid would fit, but they're just a bit shorter at the front.

The paintwork is good and looks like it's not going to flake off any time soon. The pads are plush and easily removed for washing. The pinlock sits in the visor rather than on it so it improves the effectiveness of it and doesn't cause any vision issues. Overall for £120 you can't argue with it.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:It's comfortable enough. A little bit tight on the forehead and the sides by the ears but I expect that from a new lid. It's not uncomfortable.

The vents seem to work really well, there's a good breeze across the top of your head.

It's a bit field of view, which I need for commuting.

I'm not too sure about the sun visor - it seems light. I'll find out when I need to use it. Nice one touch action to get it to pop back up but dropping it down it a bit weird as you use a catch on the top of the lid. That feels a bit cheap as you drag it forward to drop the sun visor down. I'm hoping it is robust as I don't want that to fail.

Noise isn't bad. The chinbar is pointed so that reduces some of the noise and the lid isn't as wide as the Nolan so there's a reduction in wind buffering noise.

I was hoping that the visors from my other HJC lid would fit, but they're just a bit shorter at the front.

The paintwork is good and looks like it's not going to flake off any time soon. The pads are plush and easily removed for washing. The pinlock sits in the visor rather than on it so it improves the effectiveness of it and doesn't cause any vision issues. Overall for £120 you can't argue with it.
I need a new lid, so this is interesting as i've spent enough this year :D .

Whats the sizing like compared to your others - did you pick the same size as Nolan?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yep, same size as the Nolan. No issues with the fit. No movement or wobble at high speeds.

I would move quick if you want one, it's a discontinued line hence the price.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

There must be a coating on the visor. It was raining tonight but I didn't have to wipe the visor, the water just rolled off.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cookie, the lid is pretty quiet on the Street. The shape of the helmet seems to suit the naked bike. I have got a flyscreen on it but the windblast is on my chest.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Cookie, the lid is pretty quiet on the Street. The shape of the helmet seems to suit the naked bike. I have got a flyscreen on it but the windblast is on my chest.
Thats good to know. I've found a Puig sport screen that fits the 765 (i didn't know that the lights and dash parts are identical on the 675 street, 765 street and the 1050 Speed too)

I might get that and then i'm going to try and get a new lid at the NEC show this year. I want to try them on first. Sounds like a good lid for the price.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Hmmm, the pinlock has failed already.

I noticed some misting last week so over the weekend I stripped the visor and pinlock and gave everything a good wash and dry. This morning it missed up. I had to pull into a petrol station and take the pinlock out.

Time for an email to the seller.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

HJC for me, I have had a few now, the newest being one. Only thing I find frustrating is the wind noise on the air ducts (extract side) they do tend to whistle on mine in certain condition. Other than that, which is a very small gripe, they are very good value lids. I wear this over the GT air I bought every time, I was very dissapointed with that lid.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Pinlocks have a limited lifespan apparently.

It was only recently i found out thy have water absorbing properties and come in 3 different levels. I guess that will only work for so long.

https://pinlock.com/what-is-a-pinlock-visor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's useful, thanks.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

That's funny I recently only learned the you are not suppose to get Pinlock wet as well! Watched a YouTube video on it. The literature seems a tad long to me but the video on how to care for the Pinlock was great, straight to the point and easy to understand for Muppets like me

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've ordered a photochromatic pinlock. It's not cheap at £48 but it's cheaper than a visor and a pinlock.

I'll do a review when it arrives.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:I've ordered a photochromatic pinlock. It's not cheap at £48 but it's cheaper than a visor and a pinlock.

I'll do a review when it arrives.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. The drop down visor in the gt air is OK, but it steams up really easily.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They all seem to do that in the winter. Plus they're never strong enough for when the sun is facing you.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

What is that Kwacky?