Sat Navs

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Sat Navs

Post by Kwacky »

Any recommendations?

A bloke on the Versys forum has a Garmin Zumo 340LM up for sale at £100, which seems like a good price to me. I know they're a discounted model.

I wont be using it much. It's mostly for the Versys when I'm away. I'm aware that Duke usually ends up leading because he's got a SatNav (giggle)

I might get a mount as well for the Street, seeing as they're cheap.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Re: Sat Navs

Post by Stonesie »

I have the 390lm and its great for my use, but i paid well over £100 for it so that sounds like a bargain.
Last edited by Stonesie on 13 Sep 2017, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

I alway use my phone but if I was getting a dedicated one I'd go for TomTom because of their winding roads feature. Think they call it "Ride challenge level" now. Found some amazing roads in places I though I knew really well with that feature.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

TomTom over Garmin, 100%! My Garmin 340 won't charge on the cradle on the bike despite it being brand new and never been on the bike before. Many many people seem to have the same problem. If you don't clip a waypoint on the Garmin exactly it will then permanently try to take you back to the waypoint till you go into the waypoint list and click the next one.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

If your not going to use it much and it has european maps on it i'd go for it. £100 for a waterproof european satnav? Good price imo.

Make sure it has the cradle so you can bolt it to your Kwak.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

What is that feature? Suggestions for roads you might want to try?

I'm going to use it as guidance and to get me home or to somewhere I recognise if I get lost. I reckon it'll be used very infrequently.

Using my phone is another option. I wasn't looking for a satnav but I was tempted to the zumo by the price.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Phone. Saves having to learn different "technology" or whatever....plus I'd be carrying it anyway for when I fall off....already use it for work, etc.

Like to travel light as...
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Bought and used a 390lm Garmin on the euro trip. First time of using it on the bike. It worked well but it did have its problems.

We had a programmed route in it and like Andy says if you did not clip the last way point it tried to turn you around. Viewing the next way point was also hard i ended up resorting to my phone to check these out. It was also a bit slow at calculating a route if you had gone a little stray. Its not sometimes the easiest thing to read. The motorway link roads in eurpoe are tight sometimes getting you to go round in circles these can appear as a big purple blob and a little guess work was needed. Think My unit was also a little faulty as it only recorded 165mph as max speed will be sending it back to garmin.

However If i did not have a sat nav the trip would have been a shambles. Andy's was not working so he had to keep me in vision which was easy enough most of the time but when the odd overtake are not easy to come by and my naughty monkey comes out to play i can see it being a bit stressful to follow.
The routes worked BRILLIANT and after i figured out that it had a few issues we could quickly continue with our jorney. Finding petrol stations was made easy as they appered on the map or could be programed in if that thirsty red monster got low on fuel. same with hotels and places to grab a coffee.

So for £100 its a bargain i paid nearly £200 for mine. I am going to check out the tom tom options and maybe sell mine on if it seems like its a improvement. We meet a nice chap on the tunnel on the way home and he said the tom tom was easier to use and when we mentioned the issues we had he seemed to suggest that the tom tom did not have these issues. However i will take this with a pinch of salt until i have had a good look at them. Going to be busy at the NEC lol

I Will add we had 3 days of trouble free riding and the issues were very minimal though out the trip we did 1855 miles so it did a pretty good job as we hardly hit any toll roads or major motorways the whole holiday.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cheers Rocket, good feedback. (y)
Monty

Post by Monty »

Kwacky wrote:What is that feature? Suggestions for roads you might want to try?
You put in a destination, select the level of bendyness you require and it finds suitable bendy roads on your route. Very simple but works very well in practice.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Monty

Post by Monty »

To be frank though, if you just want something to get you home a 100 quid sounds like a good deal. Could always sell it on if it doesn't work out.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Rocket you changing the zumo390 settings and tell it no u turns so it won't keep sending you back to a way point
rocket

Post by rocket »

just checked and u-turns are still on. However not sure how that would help as it would still make me go to the way point as it did a couple of times no u-turns more like going round in a circle till we got back to the way point and it clipped it. According to Mr tom tom he suggested it just let you carry on even if you went a little off track it just got you back on route. we will see though.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Turn u turns off and I m pretty sure it will move you forward to the next way point by recalulating yorr route which is what I think the Tom Tom function is your describing.

Hope it helps
rocket

Post by rocket »

only one way to find out ...... when can I go back to test it ...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

That Garmin is a bargain at £100. I gave a 350lm and it works fine for me. I'm not one for planning long routes. Just add each destination to your history before you go and then move on to each one when you have reached your previous destination.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Tom tom for me. But if you plan a route you have to make sure everyyhing is coreect first. I had a situation where one of my roads were closed so had to turn off. Bloody thing lead me back to that closed off road. Haven't done a route since just turned on winding rkad feature and it found fantsic roads, sometimes they start crap and you think what have I got myself into, until it opens up and shows you the best tarmac you will ever find!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk