continental sport attack 3

The news and your views about biking
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Re: continental sport attack 3

Post by rocket »

1855 miles later this has been a mixture of motorway , fast A and B roads we stayed away from many of the toll roads so i think they have had a good test and not just battered in a straight line.

Grip levels. In the dry they have loads of grip this has stayed the same through out the tyres life so far there have been not sudden drops in performance. Im not sure there has been any drop in grip lvl at all. In the wet they gave me loads of confidence and only in a mixture of torrential rain ,flooding and mud did they give the slightest of moment.

Profile this is were i think the tyre for me is a bit of a let down. It is a very steady progressive profile i prefer more of a drop or aggressive profile in a tyre. When getting to the last 2/3rds of the bike it does take a bit of effort to get it to fall anymore. i played around with pressure etc. and it seemed to make little difference. This could be my bikes setup but i wont know until i put some different rubber on there. It certainly no were near as aggressive as the m7rr or the Michelin power rs (which Andy had on his 1299). They have flattened off a bit in the middle but i think the profile was not far off what it is now.

Stability has been amazing i think the profile helps with this but even on the side of the tyre doing 100 + there was never a question of movement from the tyres. From my experience doing long runs at high speed a bike can become a little nervous past 140-150 however there were no signs of this.

So in summary i like the tyres except for the profile. Ill keep using them and see how much more they have to give.

"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Good write up. They do look to be a fairly smooth gentle profile compared to some of the other sports tyres out there.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

They do look flat. Do they start off like that or are they squaring off?
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

They look like they have helped up well to the mileage as you must have done 500 miles on them before departing for Europe
Blade

Post by Blade »

Oh and weed your drive (happy)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Couldn't imagine you wanting a sports touring type of tyre to be honest rocket but least they were ideal for the conditions and roads you have been on recebtlg. Sound like decent tyres to be honest. I'd lile to know how many miles in total you get out of the rear

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Blade wrote:Oh and weed your drive (happy)
Brake cleaner makes a good weedkiller. :D Bit expensive mind.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

rocket wrote:So in summary i like the tyres except for the profile. Ill keep using them and see how much more they have to give.
Thanks dude, so I'm thinking they don't quite have the full Rocket seal of approval.

I'm tempted to go back to buying SC01/02 scrubs. Cheap as chips, I was getting about 2/3 of the same mileage as the M7RRs for less than half the cost
Monty™© MCMLXXII
rocket

Post by rocket »

Ill keep updating the thread as there is more life left in the tyre i think they did a great job for the trip to Europe.
Monty wrote:
rocket wrote:So in summary i like the tyres except for the profile. Ill keep using them and see how much more they have to give.
Thanks dude, so I'm thinking they don't quite have the full Rocket seal of approval.

I'm tempted to go back to buying SC01/02 scrubs. Cheap as chips, I was getting about 2/3 of the same mileage as the M7RRs for less than half the cost
No i wont be buying another set I want to try something different.

I do have a spare set of SC1 /SC1 120..180 that i picked up from bsb round at cadwell. £70 to you if your interested
duke63 wrote:
Blade wrote:Oh and weed your drive (happy)
Brake cleaner makes a good weedkiller. :D Bit expensive mind.
no chance the amount of products that go down my drive never kills those weeds think they breed on it.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I like them Monty.

I can't speak for Rocket but his negative feedback was turn in and profile which he says himself maybe his bike set up not the tyre so maybe don't dismiss them completely.

I used the spa3 and was bloody impressed in all areas including turn in. Best road tyre I've used imo and better turn in than the Rosso Corsa which are quick steering tyre. Not quite as quick but only fracturely slowly but much more predictable and overall a better turn in experience imo.

Shame you can't try before you buy.

Tyres are subjective and we will all have different views. The only real way to test them is try a set. Personally I don't think you will be disappointed.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Ah Rocket posted at the same time.

The scrubs sound just the ticket.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

rocket wrote:I do have a spare set of SC1 /SC1 120..180 that i picked up from bsb round at cadwell. £70 to you if your interested
oo yes very interested, are they the V2 and what's the date on them?
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote: I can't speak for Rocket but his negative feedback was turn in and profile which he says himself maybe his bike set up not the tyre so maybe don't dismiss them completely.
It'll be mostly that - setup. Everyone should, but very few do, setup their bike when they change tyres.

What you should do is measure the diameter of the tyres (mounted to a rim and at correct pressure) then adjust ride height to suit the new tyre to acheive the same balance; if the new tyre is 20mm smaller then you should increase ride height by 20mm to achieve the same chassis geometry.

^^^ This is all too much for me though, I just stick the tyres on, go out and assess the bikes performance and go from there
rocket

Post by rocket »

As blade will vouch I'm pretty crap at setup. If I feel good I'm fast if I feel anything else I'm slow lok
rocket

Post by rocket »

Blade wrote:I like them Monty.

I can't speak for Rocket but his negative feedback was turn in and profile which he says himself maybe his bike set up not the tyre so maybe don't dismiss them completely.

I used the spa3 and was bloody impressed in all areas including turn in. Best road tyre I've used imo and better turn in than the Rosso Corsa which are quick steering tyre. Not quite as quick but only fracturely slowly but much more predictable and overall a better turn in experience imo.

Shame you can't try before you buy.

Tyres are subjective and we will all have different views. The only real way to test them is try a set. Personally I don't think you will be disappointed.

I do think some of my feed back is down to my riding style / setup i have not been disappointed in the tyre and it has done everything i have asked of it.
rocket

Post by rocket »

Total mileage so far is 2155 miles just been out on it again and they don't feel worn or squared at all