Why you shouldn't repair a bike tyre

The news and your views about biking
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Why you shouldn't repair a bike tyre

Post by duke63 »

This was in Addisons today when i was getting the wife's tyre replaced.

Apparently the tyre had been repaired with a plug which let go at 60mph. Rider survived any injury fortunately.

Addisons reckon the plug doesn't expand in a bike tyre even though the tyre itself will expand when getting hot, resulting in this possibility.

Bit scary to be honest seeing that.
2017-06-12 17.36.41.jpg
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Why you shouldn't repair a bike tyre

Post by Kwacky »

That's rare though. That's the first one I've seen do that.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

60 mph was the fastest the bike ever got up to after it was plugged??

I'm guessing the initial damage to the tyre was worse than thought.

Or it was just a hack job.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Every plug or repair I have done myself have lasted throughout the tyres life... at speeds i would ride the bike as normal.
D41 could be right, you cant plug every one, depends what damage has been done inside, how its gone in etc, if someone repaired it without knowing what they were doing, or bodged it then that could be the reason it failed.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I've tracked a tyre with a plug in it with no issues. Don't see why it would go like that personally
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Agreed with D and Frankie here. I suppose it's one of those things it won't happen everytime but jeez you will know about it when it does happen!! At the end of the day the proof is right there so it does happen!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Id be interested to know f it was a proper plug from the inside which is a permanent repair or one of the plug from the outside jobs, which are brilliant and ive used to get me home a couple of times now but do say very specifically that they are only a temp repair and that you should not exceed 50mph
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

Cavetroll87 wrote:Id be interested to know f it was a proper plug from the inside which is a permanent repair or one of the plug from the outside jobs, which are brilliant and ive used to get me home a couple of times now but do say very specifically that they are only a temp repair and that you should not exceed 50mph
I agree.

I used to sit on the BSi committee with all the manufacturers that regulated tyre repairs.

It was agreed that the main issue is the external repairs. A plug is pushed into the tyre from the outside which causes the plies to seperate, and then as it heats up it can cause a delamination of the tyre resulting in a potential instant deflation.

They also affect the steel cords and cause premature rusting, which is another problem altogether, but the seal is temporary,

This is why a maximum speed and distance was put on external repairs and it should be regarded as temporary.

The internal or mushroom plug on the other hand does not have the same issue as it is inserted against the ply pushing them together against the outer carcas and then it is vulcanised thereby making a permanant repair.

Most manufacturers are OK with 1 plug, some are OK with 2. I have actually run the Blackbird with 3 in the past including a day at the Nurburgring without issue.

But the second point is the position of the hole.

If it is beyond 50% of the centre of the tyre or the sidewall is compromised, then it is a no no, new tyre time. But this means you won't know until the tyre is off.

Oh, and as a by the by, (he has probab;y retired by now) the chairman of the committee used to be the guy whose company manufactured the internal and external tyre repair plugs and kits.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Michelin tyres have Kevlar belts rather than steel which is why they are OK to be repaired in the right circumstances.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

So can you temporarily repair a tyre with an external plug to get home then have that removed and an internal plug fitted and be OK or once the temp plug has been used the tyre is done?

Never have had a puncture on a bike and only just bought a repair kit due to the weekend away trips
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The advice is the former. Get a repair done roadside to get you home then get a garage to do a proper repair for you
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

IMO there reaches a point where (although a repair is still safe) there isn't much point in performing the repair. If I was due a new tyre in the next couple of months I'd bite the bullet and get the repair done early
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

kiwikrasher wrote:So can you temporarily repair a tyre with an external plug to get home then have that removed and an internal plug fitted and be OK or once the temp plug has been used the tyre is done?

Never have had a puncture on a bike and only just bought a repair kit due to the weekend away trips
I have fixed at road side and used the tyre until it was dead :) tight arse fecker I hear you shout, I say and? Lol
However on this occasion I did fix and then get a professional plug.
D41

Post by D41 »

kiwikrasher wrote:So can you temporarily repair a tyre with an external plug to get home then have that removed and an internal plug fitted and be OK or once the temp plug has been used the tyre is done?
That's the way I'd figure it too.....an outside plug to get you in (back home) and an inside plug to get you back out.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I always keep my kit in my bag, 60 miles a day roundtrip to work rather not get stuck coz of a puncture, actually used it just last week, not for me, but came up behind another biker who had a flat so pulled over and plugged it for him

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
D41

Post by D41 »

I mean...no way am I gonna sit around Anza Borrego, or Desert Hot Springs, or some other sh!thole in 100+ heat just because some knacker thinks my patch job is not "proper"...WTF use is that??

Drastic times, etc.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cavetroll87 wrote:I came up behind another biker who had a flat so I pulled over and plugged him

(giggle)
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Kwacky wrote:
Cavetroll87 wrote:I came up behind another biker who had a flat so I pulled over and plugged him

(giggle)
Image it was a good ride home

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk