What did you do to your bike today ??

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: What did you do to your bike today ??

Post by Kwacky »

True. I was taking more about the looks. It's never going to win any beauty prizes.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Bled the brakes and Clutch as wasn't impressed with the performance.

Test ride to see if my hand work has made things any better.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Did a mod on the Multi rear brake.

The rear brake was non-existent, wouldn't even hold the bike on a hill at a stop. On first look awhile ago I could see I was in for some drama as the bleeder was on the bottom of the caliper, so at a minimum would have to remove the caliper and get it up a bit higher. But after some research found out there is a long history of trouble with the rears on the pre DVT Multi's.

So following some tips I found fitted a new banjo and bleeder at the ABS unit (high point of the circuit) and on removing the old banjo there was no fluid at all! Fitted the bleeder and replaced all the fluid for Motul RBF600. Bled from the master to the ABS and using a large syringe pressure bled from the caliper to the ABS.

Took it out, had about 1/3 of the travel and actually worked! Engaged ABS a few times then came back in and re-bled it all again.

Back out and will easily engage ABS on the rear now and turning ABS will lock up pretty easy. So happy it's vastly improved, just have to see how long it lasts.
IMG_6002.JPG
IMG_6003.JPG
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

kiwikrasher wrote:Did a mod on the Multi rear brake.

The rear brake was non-existent, wouldn't even hold the bike on a hill at a stop. On first look awhile ago I could see I was in for some drama as the bleeder was on the bottom of the caliper, so at a minimum would have to remove the caliper and get it up a bit higher. But after some research found out there is a long history of trouble with the rears on the pre DVT Multi's.

So following some tips I found fitted a new banjo and bleeder at the ABS unit (high point of the circuit) and on removing the old banjo there was no fluid at all! Fitted the bleeder and replaced all the fluid for Motul RBF600. Bled from the master to the ABS and using a large syringe pressure bled from the caliper to the ABS.

Took it out, had about 1/3 of the travel and actually worked! Engaged ABS a few times then came back in and re-bled it all again.

Back out and will easily engage ABS on the rear now and turning ABS will lock up pretty easy. So happy it's vastly improved, just have to see how long it lasts.
IMG_6002.JPG
IMG_6003.JPG
Cool mod.

Do you bleed an ABS system in the same way as a non ABS? I'm on my first ABS bike (not that it needs doing at the moment) but will need to at some point i assume.
Blade

Post by Blade »

@Cookie Yes I do. But if you have air down at the abs pump like Kiwi your going to have to bleed at the abs unit as described above.

@kiwi Great work and mod. Got a link to the bleeder? I got that much air out of my left caliper yesterday I suspect I may have the same issue. At first I thought something had a hair line crack and wash sucking air in but couldn't find anything. Suspect could be the same issue as yourself.

Disappointingly it was in the main dealers 2 weeks and 100 miles ago and they never said anything. In fairness it wasn't in for a brake bleed as part of the service but I would have hoped they could have told the previous owner it had a soft lever pull.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

It's a M10 x 1.0mm thread banjo with a 6 mm bleeder. I bought it locally but you'll easily source one local to you. (If double check it's the same banjo though for the 1299)

The syringe as a pressure bleeder wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Rather messy in fact. You need a lot of pressure to get it through to the ABS and I had leaks from the bleeder/tube and also had to let the fluid settle out in the syringe so I wasn't injecting air into it. Think next time I'll conventually bled and raise the caliper. (Rear stand on order).

Cookie, biggest thing for bleeding ABS is to get the air out of the ABS unit. Without ABS engaged it's just like bleeding a standard brake. The Ducati manual states it cycles the ABS on power up. So I did a few power cycles and re-bled. No air. Went down the road and activated the rear ABS a couple of times, re-bled, and got air. Not a lot but enough to cause sponginess.

So not expert but in my limited experience, bled as normal, go out and activate the ABS and re-bled.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Something I noticed activating the ABS on the rear is you would feel the pulsing and then a few times it just let go like a seal had blown, but then was fine next use. I'm wondering if there is a design fault in the ABS. The front has no issues at all. The Ducati mechanic I was talking too is convinced of this, he has the same model Multi and has done extensive R and D on a customers Mutli with short term success. The customer now has bypassed the ABS for the rear and has it a dumb live system and puts up with the error code.

I put the RBF 600 in as the rear brake line runs close to the cat and from research can cook the fluid. Still to fit the heat shield I got from Duke.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Good info kiiwi cheers pal (y)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Blade wrote:Bled the brakes and Clutch as wasn't impressed with the performance..
Fwiw I did think that the fluid in the front brake reservoir looked a little dark in your Panini pictures, which surprised me. I had sort of persuaded myself that it was probably just a trick of the photograph, rather than say anything.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Keen eye there StMarks pal and 100% right (y)

Hopefully sorted now.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Been out for a cheeky couple of hours over lunchtime. I haven't used it for over a week due to bad weather and life, however it's nice to get back on it after all the newness / honeymoon period has finished.

I'm way quicker on this bike than the RC8 and getting quicker. It's teaching me a lot about my riding as i don't have to worry about anything - grip, abs, traction control and lots of feedback from the front end. The RC8 always felt vague at the front as you had to push it really hard to get the most out of it. This one has brought a lot of new confidence out in me. I've been hammering through bends (thats what it feels like to me anyway) and it feels like it has loads more grip. I'm flying through traffic islands especially when i know them - just dropping a cog and hammering through.

I was glad of TC today due to patches of wet in the shadows, but i trust this bike way more than the KTM as you were always waiting for it to spit your off or not tell you what it was going to do next. It inspires so much confidence that I'm learning to ride way faster - i do need to be careful with this naughty girl.

It needs a fly screen now my speeds have increased - up to 90 mph its fine, but i can feel my neck muscles working hard above that. Anyone find a nice one for a 765? - not the triumph one - too small. I want one that doesn't spoil the looks of the bike (i like it without). Does anyone do one that extends for touring maybe?

It's noticeably colder/damp this month - 16 degrees today and the Rosso Corsa's still seem fine once warm.

This bike is brilliant as it rolled out the factory frankly.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Have a look at Puig or MRA.

I don't think Powerbronze do anything for it yet.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Triggered the anti wheelie the traction control and the abs and God knows what else (happy)
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Went for a spin and bumped into an Italian tart.

"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

StMarks wrote:
Blade wrote:Bled the brakes and Clutch as wasn't impressed with the performance..
Fwiw I did think that the fluid in the front brake reservoir looked a little dark in your Panini pictures, which surprised me. I had sort of persuaded myself that it was probably just a trick of the photograph, rather than say anything.
Maybe just the colour of the brake fluid used by Ducati as mine is a dark colour too? I seem to remember it can be a good idea to use a different colour each time as it makes it easier to know when it is all flushed through. I used super blue on my Daytona because of this and honestly not just because I liked it matching the Caspian blue, honest!
Blade

Post by Blade »

rocket wrote:Went for a spin and bumped into an Italian tart.

2 Italian stunner super models and a couple of British old boys dressed as power rangers......haha (giggle)
Blade

Post by Blade »

RS looked good pal 8)
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

DaytonAndy wrote: I used super blue on my Daytona because I liked it matching the Caspian blue,!
And i shared a room with you :| :| :| :| . i thought my bum was sore from the gixer seat
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Did what any self respecting biker would do when the sun is shining and your not working.. Took it out for a good spanking on some country lanes.

Now admittedly a few of these may have been a little narrow, some even had moss growing in the centre. The KTM lapped them up. After a good couple of hours riding my luck ran out and it rained!!

Also hoping police vans marked CCTV aren't that good at catching bikes moving a little to quick.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

Gave the multi and the 600rr a good clean
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;